Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Loosing their voice with old age? General older guinea pig advice appreciated

sayhey22

Cavy Slave
I couldn't figure out how to edit my thread about Baby Pig, and this is about her so I apologize (if someone knows how to edit threads please comment).

I've never had an older guinea pig before (my oldest will be 6 in June), so I'm not accustomed to what happens with an old pig. Recently, and not every time, when my older pig wheeks, she seems to have trouble getting the sound out and it sounds like more of a wheeze. The first time I heard it I assumed she had something stuck in or scratching her throat, but I've heard it multiple times since then. I have also heard her wheek just fine.
I took my stethoscope and listened to her breathing, and didn't hear any clicking or anything like that. She has no nasal discharge or crustiness. Eats and drinks regularly, and is always interested in snacks.

Is her voice box just wearing out?

Thanks.

PS. If anyone has any other basic health, behavioral, etc. information on older guinea pigs I'd greatly appreciate it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do believe, at least from my experience, that "losing their voice" is normal, at least to some degree.

My pigs were always spoiled, and after awhile they stopped wheeking for their treats. They just came to expect them. The less they wheeked, the harder it seemed to be. Late in Sly's life, wheeking was a rare treat for us to hear from him. We always knew when he was VERY excited, because we were treated to three or four rusty sounding wheeks. That in turn made US excited that he was so happy. Once Pooper got late in his life, he didn't wheek at all. The last two years of his life I don't remember him ever wheeking.

Even my two year old "babies" now, while they still wheek, it's nowhere near as much as it used to be. They've gotten set in their routine and don't feel the need to "sing for their supper".

Spoiled pigs. :D

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
My guy stopped wheeking around 5 or so... then later on he was diagnosed with a lump on his thyroid and as much as he tried to wheek, he couldn't. My four month olds scream their heads off with even the tiniest step I take. I think they wheek more when they're younger, or as they age, they know your rountine, so they know they don't have to wheek for the attention anymore.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I think it's fairly normal.

Any of my pigs that have lived to their senior years have all "lost their wheeker". My one girl who made it to 7.5 would sometimes attempt a very airy/puffing wheeking sound when all the other girls were squeaking, but thinking back, once she was around 6 or so I never heard her squeaking anymore.

I always find my young pigs are the squeakers! Lol they are on top of their game and like to alert everyone else to possible food.

sayhey22

Cavy Slave
I think it's fairly normal.

Any of my pigs that have lived to their senior years have all "lost their wheeker". My one girl who made it to 7.5 would sometimes attempt a very airy/puffing wheeking sound when all the other girls were squeaking, but thinking back, once she was around 6 or so I never heard her squeaking anymore.

Yes, that's what it sounds like!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.