Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Yet another cage size question

peanutmommy

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I know this question comes up a lot and I apologize if I've missed an answer in my searches. Here's my situation: I have a 2x8 C & C cage. I just measured (because the grids are 14 inches) and I measured a little over 9 ft by 2 ft 4 inches. So a little more than 18 square feet of space. How big can I make my herd? I currently have 4 pigs in that cage. How many more could I comfortably add without making them too crowded?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put more than one or two more in. But if you've got a happy herd, the smartest thing to do might be to quit here until you lose one, and then just replace it.

Don't forget that medical care is just as much a responsible part of pig ownership as food and housing, and a herd of sick guinea pigs can run through many hundreds of dollars of vet bills in a hurry.

peanutmommy

Cavy Slave
Yes, we have already paid out a lot in vet bills because one of the piggies (Daisy) has a neurological condition. She had been deteriorating and losing weight but we've got her pretty stabilized now I think at around 700g. Thanks for the advice!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I saw an octagon-shaped dining table at a thrift store the other day. The sides looked like they were about 14” and I started thinking about using a table like that to make a cage from grids. So I’m looking for opinions. Do you think a circular-shaped playpen would encourage more running? Lacey has some pudge and could use a little more exercise (same goes for her pig wrangler). lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think circular vs. rectangular would make any difference in activity level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.