Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Revolution No luck with Revolution for mange mites?

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Hi all,
Ive had my pigs for about a year, and just recently, one of them starting scratching quite severely. He has hair loss, dandruff-like deposits through his hair and red skin. After researching, it seems that he has sarcoptic mange. I treated the pigs with revolution, with the correct dosage as calculated on guineapiglynx. The first treatment was given 20 days ago, and I gave a second treatment 10 days ago, but there has still been no improvement. My affected guinea pig is now seizuring with the itching and i feel absolutely awful. Is there still hope of the revolution working? Should I give a 3rd dosage? I?m in a fairly rural part of Australia and I haven?t had much luck with the vet down here. He advised me to get this spray, https://www.nettopet.com.au/aristop...c71mjAJrKchkDeQ8OLWTzileZYyUbpPBoCcOQQAvD_BwE which I?ve read can be dangerous for piggies. Any advice or recommendations are most welcome, I can?t stand seeing my boy like this! :(

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for your reply, how long would I have to wait since the last application of revolution to give ivermectin?
Edit: After google searching, I can only seem to find ivermectin in the form of a horse drench or in a $100 cattle drench, which I can’t afford. Any suggestions of where I could purchase in Australia?

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
I’ve found this drench I have for my horse, is ivermectin in this form suitable for topical use in guinea pigs? Sorry for me bombarding you with questions, I’m just so stressed out after reading about how pigs can die from mite infestations! 2339F60C-2C55-47C3-A7AA-C2CC0C580736.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That ivermectin is VERY concentrated and very difficult to dilute to the proper strength for treating a guinea pig. Look on Amazon and see if you can find a .5% or 1% solution. It could be the pour-on, injectable, or oral kind -- doesn't matter. You're going to put it behind the ear anyway.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Update: I?ve purchased this https://www.nettopet.com.au/vetafarm-avimec.html to use topically on my pig, as it was the only product under $90 I could find in Aus! Thanks for your help, would you happen to know how soon I could give this after the revolution 10 days ago?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think that's going to work. It's too dilute. You need either a .5% or a 1% solution, and you've got a .1%.

How much does your pig weigh? Let me know, and I'll see how much of that stuff it will take.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
My pig is 850 grams

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the dosing chart for the 1% solution.

Do some googling and check my math on the .1%. You've got 1000 micrograms per milliliter, and you want to know what percent solution that is. Your pig needs about .45 mg of ivermectin per dose.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Here is the chart for the 1% solution Bpatters meant to link earlier. https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

The stuff you have is 10x weaker than the stuff the chart is calculated for. So just take the end "dose in CC" number and times it by 10 (aka shift it 1 decimal place to the left).

As she is 850 grams she would need roughly 0.425 mL of the avimec. It will be easiest to measure if you can get a 1mL syringe (without the needle). You might need to work out the stopper cap from the top of the bottle to be able to suck it up into a syringe, or shake some out into a small container, I have this product for my birds and I could never fit a syringe tip into the small hole on the top of the bottle.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks, Soecara. Sorry I forgot to post the link.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much for your help guys, I?ll give that dosage when the product arrives and update on how it?s working :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll need to do at least three treatments, seven days apart. Four, if it's a bad infestation.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Will do! Last question for me haha, would it be safe to give the ivermectin as soon as it arrives, even though the last revolution application was 10 days ago?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think that should be enough time. Revolution is an ivermectin derivative, and they're similar enough that the interval between doses should be the same.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Selamectin (Revolution) and ivermectin can be used together (if the mite infestation requires it), so I would dose all your pigs with the ivermectin as soon as it arrives. Some mites will respond to one medication and not the other.

For future reference for Australian folks after non-bulk ivermectin, https://www.misspiggyslair.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7229792 (sorry this doesn't help you though!).

One thing to keep in mind is that your piggy may also have a fungal infection instead (or as well as), since mange mites and fungal infections can often look very similar in some cases.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
Thanks very much, that’s great to hear. I’ll look into fungal treatment if the Ivermectin doesn’t fix up the problem.

fendywoosh

Cavy Gazer
F0AE38A9-B80F-45FE-B38B-92C5DCA2C316.jpg17D7D076-639B-42A8-9F47-4E4B20F35DF2.jpg
Little update - I have given the first application of ivermectin, with no improvement yet (early days though, i know!). I just thought I would upload an image of his most affected area, in case anyone had an idea of whether it could be fungal, instead of mites? Sorry for the poor lighting and angle - he will not let me touch him let alone pick him up

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.