Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Weird behavior.

Hi!
    I have two girl Guinea pigs. Their names are Clove and Nutmeg. I seem to be having trouble with my girl Clove. She is about 1 year and 6 months old. I adopted her from the shelter. When we got her home she was very sweet and loving. Now having Clove home and together with my other piggy for about a month she is showing some weird behavior. She will only let me pet her head but nothing else. When I try to pick her up she tried to bite me. And she chatters her teeth a lot at me. Never having done this till recently. But she still eats very well and is always excited about food. Also, I don't see her itch very much either. I would love some help to get Clove and me to become much better friends. Thank you for reading and I hope something can help.

My spice girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: Weird behavior.

I wouldn't say any of that is weird behaviour, every guinea pig has a different personality. One of my boars only likes getting his head pet as well, so I only pet his head. Is she chattering when you try to pick her up? Because that's normal too, as not every pig likes getting picked up. If she is eating, drinking, and isn't losing weight, I would say that she is perfectly fine. It's just her personality!

3. "Thank you, Snugglybutt, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

She used to be very sweet. Does Guinea pig behavior change. I?m very new at this.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegandClove View Post
    She used to be very sweet. Does Guinea pig behavior change. I?m very new at this.
    Have you been weighing her to make sure that she is healthy? Illness can cause pain/discomfort, so chattering and biting can occur. Weight loss is often the first sign of illness. That being said, if she is eating, drinking, popcorning, not losing weight, isn't itching... she is probably healthy. Are Clove and Nutmeg getting along fine?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

They love each other. They snuggle all the time! She hates being held and doesn?t sit still. So I haven?t gotten a good chance to weigh her. I hope she is ok. I love them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegandClove View Post
    They love each other. They snuggle all the time! She hates being held and doesn?t sit still. So I haven?t gotten a good chance to weigh her. I hope she is ok. I love them.
    That's good to know . I put a large bowl on my kitchen food scale and then place my pig in the bowl so they can't run away! Even though she hates being held, weighing your piggies weekly is a must! As I said before, weightloss is the often first sign of illness. One of my boars HATES being held (he chatters and yawns at me), but I still manage to do it.

As for getting Clove to warm up to you, you should try to get her out of the cage and have lap time! My skinny pig used to hate being picked up and held but I "forced" lap time with him every day. I always give him some yummy veggies when he is out. He really improved and he's a lot easier to pick up now!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglybutt View Post
    That's good to know . I put a large bowl on my kitchen food scale and then place my pig in the bowl so they can't run away! Even though she hates being held, weighing your piggies weekly is a must! As I said before, weightloss is the often first sign of illness. One of my boars HATES being held (he chatters and yawns at me), but I still manage to do it.

As for getting Clove to warm up to you, you should try to get her out of the cage and have lap time! My skinny pig used to hate being picked up and held but I "forced" lap time with him every day. I always give him some yummy veggies when he is out. He really improved and he's a lot easier to pick up now!
    Thank you SOO much for all your help!!

User Tag List