Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help!! I don't know what is wrong with my son's piggie!

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
My son is 11 yrs old, he's had his guinea pig for about 4 yrs now. Gibbs, that's what he named the pig, anyway, I went to give him some apple slices and his eye looks popped out and like it has a film or the clear skin over it. It wasn't like this yesterday so I don't know what is wrong and I can't go to a vet til Thursday being I don't have the money til then and no one does payment plans and the care credit thing they tell you to apply for I was not approved for. I don't know what to do, my son loves this guniea pig. He hangs out with him in his bed and watches TV, he gives Gibbs baths. He takes good care of him. I don't know how to add pics to show you what I am talking about. If anyone knows what this could be I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is there any way you can post a photo, to give us a better idea of what you're dealing with?

It certainly sounds like he needs a vet visit asap. Guinea pigs health can go downhill very quickly where there's an issue.

It may be a hay poke. This type of injury is painful for a pig, and without prompt treatment he can lose the eye.

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
IMG_20180910_151953815.jpg

That's what it looks like

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
I do have an appointment for him on Friday I can't do anything til I get paid being I don't have the money til then, I just had bills last wk.

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
IMG_20180910_160512186.jpg

That is Gibbs' good eye if that helps

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I dont have any experience with eye injuries, but that does look like a very painful hay poke.

If you use the search bar in the top right, you should be able to find some helpful information there. I'm sorry I cant be more help at the moment, I'm on my phone on the road.

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
Hey hasn't had hay in a few days and his cage was changed the other day. This just happened between last night and today.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's definitely had some sort of injury, then. I do hope he can last until Friday. Again, try the search bar for eye injuries. There may be people who have had similar experiences and you can find some information helpful to you as far as minimizing the damage before you can get him to a vet.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what that is, but that eye injury really looks like something my sister's rat got a few weeks ago. During the night, one of her cagemates or herself scratched her eye, and she got an ulcer from it. The eye is completely dead now, but she is living with it fine surprisingly. My sister puts saline solution on the dead eye every few hours to keep it moist. Not sure if similar things can happen to piggies though, just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Also, why hasn't Gibb had hay in the past few days? It's an essential part of their diet.

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
He hasn't had any day due to what he had he ate and I haven't gotten paid yet to buy more but my son has been giving him grass. But when this happened there was no grass or hay in his cage.

Nymom78

Cavy Gazer
He's an only piggy, no cage mate, the only thing I can think is he may have bang his eye when he got a bath the other night cuz he was a smelly piggy.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Feeding him grass won't substitute for hay! They literally need hay 24/7.....and lots of it.

Being able to provide for a pet is part of the obligation of owning an animal. Hay isn't that expensive and is a major part of his health and well-being. You can always buy a bale or half bale of hay from a farm supply store for about $5......which is probably what you would spend on cola and cookies for your humans.

In the meantime, try washing out his eye with sterile saline or using some artificial tears to soothe his eye. He really does need to see a cavy-savvy Vet.

kjemerson6714

Cavy Slave
I had a problem with my GPs fighting. One of my babies had a scratch cornea. He must have accidentally scratched with his nail or some thing in the cage. The vet will probably give meds to put on the eye to heal it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.