Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Angry Popcorns? Piggie PMS?

MercyMainMom

Cavy Slave
For the last two days, my Tara has actually been going out of her way to pick on my sweet, peace-keeping Bamboo (her "sister"/cage mate). For the first time ever I got to see Tara popcorn several times yesterday...except it wasn't in the happy way that I'm always reading about. :sad: Instead she was adding it to her new bossy habit of rumble strutting, biting, chasing, and even mounting poor Bamboo! First of all, let me clarify that I am positive they are both girls, lol. They have always had little squabbles here and there, but the bullying I witnessed last night and this morning is so extreme compared to their normal, petty bickering. Tara is rumbling so loudly in general lately that I can sometimes hear her from the next room over! There are two igloos for them to hide in their cage, but Tara even forces Bamboo out of those if she gets too "bored" and wants to cause trouble. :mad: They have a vet appointment I'm taking them to this Friday, so I will bring up this behaviour to the doctor, of course. In the meantime...does anyone have any theories on what the heck is up Tara's butt all of a sudden? Could she be in heat or something? Would she have the energy to be doing all of this if she is sick or injured? Any help would be SO very much appreciated! Thank you in advance. :love:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Tara may not be the ill one here....

Pigs can sense when their cagemate is ill, and sometimes they will harass the ill pig to no end. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it may well be worth monitoring Bamboo for signs of illness.

That said, it could literally be anything. It should settle down in a day or two if nothing is really wrong.

MercyMainMom

Cavy Slave
Tara may not be the ill one here....

Pigs can sense when their cagemate is ill, and sometimes they will harass the ill pig to no end. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it may well be worth monitoring Bamboo for signs of illness.

That said, it could literally be anything. It should settle down in a day or two if nothing is really wrong.

Thanks for the tips! I'm glad I scheduled this upcoming vet appointment when I did. They seem to be getting along much better since I got home from work tonight. I practice crystal healing and put some rose quartz around outside their cage before I left this morning. Their energy is very soothing, so that seems to have helped them get through the day on better terms. Either way I'll be reporting all their actions and behaviours to the vet on Friday! ��

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It sounds like Tara is in heat! I previously had a sow whom I swear would have PMS the day before her heat cycle started. Grouchy, bitchy, touchy and generally in a bad mood. I once remarked to my husband that, "Maya is acting just like she has PMS". Sure enough, she was in full-blown heat the next day.

MercyMainMom

Cavy Slave
It sounds like Tara is in heat! I previously had a sow whom I swear would have PMS the day before her heat cycle started. Grouchy, bitchy, touchy and generally in a bad mood. I once remarked to my husband that, "Maya is acting just like she has PMS". Sure enough, she was in full-blown heat the next day.

I'm feeling a little better about this after the feedback I've gotten from here and some FB groups. I'll know for sure when they see the vet on Friday! The way Tara eats her food rigt now is even ferocious. lol Like she thinks she's a lion tearing a zebra to pieces but...it's really just a dramatic little piggie eating some lettuce 😂😂

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.