Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Guinea Pigs Only Eat Colorful Stuff Out of Food Mix

Key3031

Cavy Gazer
Hello! Newbie here. I recently just got two guinea pigs two weeks ago. At first, or at least I thought they were eating all their food. When I saw the bottom of the bowl, even though there was still some food in there I would refill it. But now, they only eat the colorful stuff out of the food and that?s it. It seems they recently started doing this. Every time they hear the food bag they squeak and it?s a bit of a high pitched squeak. Which I read that high squeak pitch means their annoyed. But anyway, they are about 9 weeks old and they won?t eat anything except the colorful stuff and hay. They eat spinach, but I?m still all new to this and I don?t want my guinea pigs to die. So I would appreciate any advice.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Please switch to Oxbow?s Essentials - Young Guinea Pig Food or another brand such as KMS. Pellets with anything in them, colorful pieces, seeds, etc, are not good for pigs. Especially babies. They need unlimited alfalfa pellets until they're six months old before they're switched to 1/8 of plain timothy pellets. Spinach is ok, but be sure to limit it, since it can later on cause bladder stones. It's fine for now since they're babies. They need either high calcium vegetables or unlimited alfalfa pellets. Give them other vegetables slowly such as 1/8 of bell pepper each day since they can't make their own vitamin C, red and green leaf lettuce, etc. Take a look at these links, and welcome to the forum.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...os-and-diet-advice-for-bladder-piggies.30297/
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs

Last edited:

Key3031

Cavy Gazer
So, I was reading over what you sent me and still am. I greatly appreciate it. Seems like I am doing a few things wrong, so I will have to fix it right away. Just to make sure I should toss this food I got: "Sunseed sunthing special,Vita Prima Sunscription"

Attachments

IMG_1879.jpg

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
It's okay. We all learned our own ways. I won't even tell you what I did in the past for my pigs between food and cages. Yes. There's so many things in there that aren't good for them. Seeds for choking, the colorful pieces are usually just sugar, and turn them away from the actual pellets. This is the one to be giving the pups right now, until they turn six months. Then they need adult guinea pig food and no more alfalfa.

(broken link removed)

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
I mean you could give them what you have now, if you pick out everything from the pellets. But since they're not alfalfa pellets (from what I can see), you need to supply them with high calcium vegetables daily. Honestly, I'd just switch out the food to not drive yourself crazy and make it much easier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.