Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding and getting guinea pigs fixed

• Thread starter mercurybubbles8
  • Start date

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
This is going to get complicated and is making me think of starting a rescue or something

i have 3 female pigs who have been together for 3+ years. One is fixed and the other two aren?t and introducing them was super easy - no agresssion or anything - and I followed all the rules.

in the last 2 months, I?ve gotten 3 new pigs - 2 from people I know getting rid of them because they didn?t want to care for them anymore and one would as found by a dumpster so now I have 2 boys and 1 girl who aren?t fixed. They?ve all been vet checked too, so I?m sure on the genders.

Im trying to figure out the best way to pair them off. I tried putting the girl in with the others, but the dominant one out right attacked within a few seconds. I tried again a few days later and the same thing. I?m thinking the dominant likes what she has now and doesn?t want to change things - I don?t know. Maybe I?m over thinking it.

So I?m getting one boy fixed and the one new girl - I haven?t had the second boy long enough to schedule him being fixed and he?s still in quarantine. I was thinking of introducing the fixed boy to the herd and seeing if he gets along with them. If he doesn?t, I was going to put him with the fixed girl or maybe the other boy (who is maybe only 3 months old at most). This young boy seems pretty calm though, so I was thinking of maybe trying to introduce him to the herd, but then I would have to get him fixed as well and from what I read, two boys and girl isn?t a good combination.

I think anyway I put it, I might have a lone guinea pig. Any suggestions? Am I overthinking this?

Im also worried about getting the guinea pigs fixed, but I know some things say it?s good for female pigs but I also think that it?s worth getting them fixed if it means that they have a friend.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The easiest solution would be to have the neutered boar with the herd, and the other boy with the lone (soon to be desexed) girl who doesn't go well with the herd (once she has healed from her surgery).

You can't have both boys together with both eachother and girls, that is almost guaranteed to fail, and given if you paired the boys together you would still be left with a single girl I think you would be better off having the boys in separate cages each with their own girl/girls.

It is up to you whether you want to also have the other boy desexed (incase he would be the better fit for the herd, or you just want to eliminate any possibility of an accident occurring where the intact boy somehow ends up in with intact girls).

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
How did you try introducing? Your post makes it sound like you just placed the new pig into the resident pigs cage which is bound to not work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.