Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How often do you give fresh hay?

MamaGuinea

Cavy Slave
So my piggies have two hay racks in their two kitchens (one at each end of the cage). Both hay racks have lots of hay in them, I filled them with fresh hay when I changed their cage today. But my piggies are a bit spoiled - while they will nibble at their hay racks, they don't really eat much from them. Instead, they hold out for the fresh hay that I have been giving them twice a day, directly on the "floor" of their kitchens. As soon as I put down the hay, they are all over it, as if they are totally famished, and they devour it.

The thing is, I really don't like putting hay directly onto the floor of their kitchens, because it gets peed on and tracks into the rest of their cage. I only do it because I worry that they wouldn't be eating enough hay otherwise, since they mostly ignore their hay racks.

So: how do I get them to eat more from their hay racks? I guess the answer is obvious - stop giving them hay on the floor. But is there a chance that they would stop eating and develop problems from that? Also, how long can they hay stay in the hay racks if they don't eat it? Do I HAVE to give the fresh hay each day, or should I just wait until they finish most of the hay in the hay racks (even if it takes a couple of days or more), and then finally refill?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Simple answer? You don't.

Pigs think their hay is a toy, as much as it is something to eat. I no longer even bother with hay racks. I simply pile it up in a corner. I replace their hay every other day, and add some to the pile when it gets low.

My little men love to dive into the hay, looking for that ONE strand that will taste better at that moment than all the others. Then do it again. Punkin will dive under it and SLEEP there.

Is it messy? Yep. But are my pigs healthy and happy? Yep.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I give my piggy spots fresh hay everyday but in little quantities so that he?s always happy and full lol he loves to eat it then just lay in it and fall asleep but what piggy doesnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I never did hay racks. All my pigs have enjoyed burrowing into their hay and were so much more enthusiastic about eating it if I'd just plunk it down in a big pile. They'd start popcorning just to hear me digging hay out of the box to bring over to them.

One thing I did that helped a little with the mess was use a "hay pad" -- simply a large square cut of fleece where I'd set the hay. Then instead of it getting all over the fleece bedding, I could just pick up that square of fleece to take outside and shake it out before laying down fresh hay. If your pigs pee in their hay, you can also fold a square of UHaul padding or other absorbent material under the hay pad to absorb the pee before it soaks a big spot on the main bedding.

Erick161

Cavy Slave
We have a "hay loft" in their play area (it's 1ft x 5ft). It's on the second floor, so it keeps their huge area relatively free of hay (play area is roughly 8ft x 4ft.

In their house, they have another "hay loft". It's roughly 2ft x 3 ft. It's also on the second story. Once they learned to go up and down the ramps...they LOVE diving in the hay room. Keeps their 1st floor as their running/chilling area.

...yes. Our piggies are incredibly spoiled. And they get fresh hay everyday (added to their hay area. And we swap out the hay every so many days...as their poop/pee deems lol). [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I give a handful of fresh hay a few times a day just to socialize since Lacey is a single pig. I crunch it up and she loves the rustling sound. Sometimes I put meadow hay in a paper bag with a big square cut out of the front close to the bottom. I clip it to the side of the cage and she can root around. I don’t do that with Timothy hay since it can be sharp and I don’t want an eye injury. I put the Timothy hay on a fabric placemat with the edge up on one side so she can spread it around and still keep the floor relatively clean.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I refill the hay basket nightly and alternate between timothy and orchard hay. The timothy hay makes me sneeze and it seems my piggies prefer orchard anyway.

CavyQueen13

Cavy Gazer
Honestly, there is not much you can do but put it on the floor. Maybe try making a designated area, such as a loft, where only the hay will be kept? I know it is a bit dirty, but what really matters is if your piggy is happy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.