Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

kwise77

Cavy Slave
40141635_1072458232920737_808268967721304064_n.jpgHi guys! I'm brand new here, and also a brand new guinea pig friend as well. I adopted my two girls Merry and Pippin three days ago. They were both very scared when I first got them, always hiding and not eating when I was around. Over the next couple days they started to finally come out of hiding if i was VERY still and quiet. The original cage I got them was a "standard guinea pig cage" from petco that I soon realized was way too small. I originally only decided to get one guinea pig but everything I read and watched for new guinea owners said two is always better so that they will always have each other to play with and just have a companion in life. When I went to pick up a guinea pig, I saw these sisters together in the corner and the lady said the other guineas usually picked on these ones. I decided I was going to get them both because I could see that they belonged together. They were only in the cage from petco for a day, and then I got a new cage that is just over ten square feet. They LOVE it. They started running around and popcorning as they got more used to me being around. I just introduced them to Romaine lettuce yesterday and of course, they were OBSESSED to say the least. They are now letting me hand feed them little and when I feed them they run around and make the cutest little WHEEK sounds. They do seem to be warming up to me but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on bonding with them a little bit more? I know that it will take time for them to get totally used to me, and do plan to keep hand feeding them when I give them fresh vegetables and very soon letting them have a little floor time every day. Thank you in advance for any tips, not just in bonding with them but please give me ANY tips you guys have for a new guinea pig owner :)

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
What I did was every couple of hours I'd pick one of my boys up and hold them with treats, pet them, talk to them as if they were your best friend. I hold them for no more than half an hour because I get worried about them holding their pee for too long. Then a couple hours after that pick up the other one and do the same thing. I went different places too; I'd sit outside for a little to give them fresh air, etc. When I come home I normally wind down with a TV show so I pick one up and pet them while I watch the show, I normally talk to them too "oh my gosh I can't believe Damon did that Sebastian! Can you believe that?!" (I'm a vampire diaries fan haha) holding them and talking to them gets them used to your voice. I unfortunately got mine far apart from each other. I got my oldest first and a couple months later got my youngest, but my advice still worked for my youngest. My oldest though I picked him up so often talked to him so often and gave him lots of treats that he loves being pet and picked up. He's a little gamer and tv watcher haha. My best friend walks around her house with her girl piggie on her chest, so it also depends on what you want to do too :) [emoji194][emoji194]
View attachment 85210Hi guys! I'm brand new here, and also a brand new guinea pig friend as well. I adopted my two girls Merry and Pippin three days ago. They were both very scared when I first got them, always hiding and not eating when I was around. Over the next couple days they started to finally come out of hiding if i was VERY still and quiet. The original cage I got them was a "standard guinea pig cage" from petco that I soon realized was way too small. I originally only decided to get one guinea pig but everything I read and watched for new guinea owners said two is always better so that they will always have each other to play with and just have a companion in life. When I went to pick up a guinea pig, I saw these sisters together in the corner and the lady said the other guineas usually picked on these ones. I decided I was going to get them both because I could see that they belonged together. They were only in the cage from petco for a day, and then I got a new cage that is just over ten square feet. They LOVE it. They started running around and popcorning as they got more used to me being around. I just introduced them to Romaine lettuce yesterday and of course, they were OBSESSED to say the least. They are now letting me hand feed them little and when I feed them they run around and make the cutest little WHEEK sounds. They do seem to be warming up to me but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on bonding with them a little bit more? I know that it will take time for them to get totally used to me, and do plan to keep hand feeding them when I give them fresh vegetables and very soon letting them have a little floor time every day. Thank you in advance for any tips, not just in bonding with them but please give me ANY tips you guys have for a new guinea pig owner :)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Watching my fianc? play resident evil four lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.