Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Is my piggy pregnant?!

Hi guys! Last winter we got two guinea pigs from a family that could no longer have them. They had gotten them from Petsmart and had them both for about 4 months until they welcomed into my home. They told us they were both girls but i have noticed one of the pigs is starting to look very large in tje mid section. She also eats constantly. I recently changed their hay to a better brand and she seems to love it so I'm hoping she's just getting fat and isn't pregnant. The other pig i have tried to exam her private parts and nothing popped out when i pushed on it. We've had them almost a year now so if one was a male they definitely would of had babies by now right?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/459 Posts

Re: Is my piggy pregnant?!

While it is extremely uncommon it is not unheard of for a male to be in with a female for an extended period of time and not successfully do the deed.

Even if you can't get anything to pop out if you do have a male on your hands you will be able to feel a firm line just under the skin directly above the genitals, this is because male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis.

If you have two females on your hands they will both feel soft and squishy above their genitals. Sometimes sows do tend to put on more weight around their back ends after they are over a year or so old.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I didn't feel anything hard when I pushed on it. It felt squishy. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take her into the vet to make sure she isn't pregnant. But I feel like if the previous owners had them as long as they did and no babies and for us having them for 8 months, you would think there would have been babies by now. She just non stop eats but they are supposed to snack on their hay all day long correct?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Yes, it’s pretty normal to eat hay fairly constantly.

Female guinea pigs can develop a certain rotund, pregnant appearance as they mature
    if they develop ovarian cysts. Or she may just be round. My older male is quite round.

Have you weighed her recently? A small digital kitchen scale will help with that. You can find them for fairly cheap at Walmart or even cheaper on Amazon.

User Tag List