Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Suddenly not drinking, eye discharge

Jellybean1122

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I'm hoping my pig is okay but i'm not so sure. He is my classroom pet and this is his second week back at school after living with me this summer. He is 2 years old. Today one of my students noticed "his eyes are really crusty" and I noticed he hasnt really been drinking much water, which is unlike him. He is a little lethargic but when I got him out to hold he perked up a little. It seems like he is eating okay but i'm pretty nervous. He's really young to have this suddenly happen. Not sure if its because hes back in the classroom or if its something more serious. I just hope I go to school tomorrow and he's still okay! My second graders and I would all be heartbroken to lose him!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Crusty eyes are a sign of a URI. Get him to a vet immediately. Pigs can go downhill extremely fast. Especially if he's slowing down and is tired, and not showing an interest in his water already.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Agreed. As my vet told me when one of my pigs became ill, "A month is a LONG time in the life of a guinea pig". A day or two to us is several days to them, which is why they go downhill so fast.

I hope your pig is ok til this morning, but those are signs of illness. A cavy savvy vet visit is needed, preferably sooner.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is there an update on this little fella? Hopefully good news?

Jellybean1122

Cavy Slave
Sadly he didn't make it. The vet thinks he had pneumonia. But he died peacefully on his own terms. Sad to see him go. Going to miss my little Jelly Bean! Thanks for checking up on him!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace, little Jelly Bean. Enjoy all your new friends at the Rainbow Bridge!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Sadly he didn't make it. The vet thinks he had pneumonia.

Having gone through a similar situation, I fully know that pneumonia is absolutely DEADLY for cavies! My Maya was gone in less than 36 hours and there simply wasn't enough time for the medication to work.

These little furballs certainly steal a piece of our heart, don't they? My boys, Sparky & Chip, send wheeks of comfort to you and say "Godspeed" to Jelly Bean!

Jellybean1122

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your kind words!! Yes I am shocked it happened so quick...he was fine 48 hours ago! I have certainly learned a lot from this experience. I don't know when I'm going to be ready for a new one but when I am at least I've learned something!! Thanks for all your kindness!

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry to hear about little Jellybean (what a cute name!). For future piggies, always check to make sure there's no discard/crust on the eyes and the nose, and always monitor weight and if they have less energy. Always major signs of an ill pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.