1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Ginger, my walking vet bill

Short version of the question:
    when shaving a guinea pig to treat an injury, how long does it take the fur to grow back after the injury had healed?

Longer version of the story:
    Little bitty Ginger thinks he is a much bigger deal than he is. Bonding failed completely and finally when little Ginger backed Bilbo into a corner and got scored across the shoulder hard.
    It was a wicked wound! I was sure it was going to need stitches. But it happened on a Friday evening just after the vet closed. The emergency vet is basically useless with guinea pigs. I am pretty sure that?s the only reason why we didn?t get stitches. So I set about the task of caring for it at home.
    Disinfect with rubbing alcohol, flush with warm distilled water in a sterilized squeeze bottle, pat with gauze, apply triple antibiotic ointment with gauze and rub gently until it?s all or mostly absorbed.
    Once a scab started forming, I started using hydrogen peroxide to gently dissolve the scab and keep it clean and healing from the inside out. It?s almost fully healed now with no signs of abscess and I am positively ecstatic.
    We were so meticulous and I was so worried, as I was pretty sure an exotic vet would have put a staple or two in the wound.

So he is happy and healthy and as spunky as ever, but his shoulder is shaved to about a 1? circle. I?m really hoping it grows back. Now that I am finally able to stop worrying about a secondary infection or abscess, I can stop and think about this. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    536 Rec'd/425 Posts

Re: Ginger, my walking vet bill

A section of it may not grow back as there will likely be a scar. However, the rest should grow in fairly quickly and will likely cover any scar. I have a girl who had a tumor removed last year and she had a 2 inch diameter circle of fur shaved in her shoulder region. I believe it took about 6 weeks for her fur to grow in completely. I've attached a picture of her fur exactly 3 weeks post up, just for reference, so you can see how her fur looked at that stage. The shorter haired area was completely shaved for the procedure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170613_175825.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	85185

3. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Ginger, my walking vet bill

Admin: please edit the title to remove the injury tag. Thanks 🙂

more on Ginger. The most expensive “free adoption” ever, lol.

Can a guinea pig be allergic to hay? Or to a particular hay brand?

For quite a long time, I used a farm fresh hay. My boys just go through so much that it seemed more efficient. However, Mousehusband objected because there were moths in the hay. It was stored in the cold garage in the winter, killing them, but he’s quite concerned about bugs in the summer. We went back to oxbow.
    Bilbo is fine.
    Shortly after the switch, Gingers eye went crazy. I thought it was another scrap and separated them. Took him to the vet, put him on oral antibiotics and a topical cream because it wasn’t healing. It healed quickly. Finished the course of meds. As soon as he was done the meds, the other eye flared up. I thought it was a scratch. Just did the topical cream. Then I noticed his lip was cracked and bleeding. Blistex (the blue lip medix pot) and another 3 day round of baytril.
    It cleared up.

Now the same spot on both eyes, and his lip are open sores again. The ointment will definitely clear it up, but it keeps coming back. It all started when I switched the hay.
    I’m thinking of getting him a little pack of orchard grass just to try.

Can guinea pigs be allergic to hay??

Bilbo is completely fine with this hay.

Both pigs are eating, drinking, peeing, pooping in normal quantities (that is to say quite plenty, lol!)

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4088 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,528 Rec'd/6,015 Posts

Re: Ginger, my walking vet bill

I guess any allergy is possible. I think some of the online hay sellers will send you sample packages (you probably have to pay postage), but you could try fresher orchard, meadow, or blue grass than you could find in a local pet store.

User Tag List