Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Piggy puffy like a porcupine

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Ever since I got Sebastian (5 months ago) he occasionally puffs up like this. I used to think he was just getting comfy, or fluffing his furr because it's chilly like dogs do. But now. Curious, is there's another reason? He's healthy. He eats and drink the same amount daily. Weighs normal, veggies everyday too.
afd43ecf1daa0fe7c7fb16cf591f60ce.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
That's him at other times when he's laying down. You can see the difference now. Puffy vs normal.
ba0d9ad0f1af5713c0a041c5245c8e75.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pigs tend to remain in one place and look puffed up like that, when they are ill. But they tend to remain that way, and usually stay in a corner.

Every one of my boars has done the same thing, though it's less noticeable with the two I have now since their fur is longer.

That said, I'm pretty sure your pig is fine. He may be puffing himself up to look too big to eat? He looks like he's just being comfy to me. Looks to me like he just looks puffed up due to the way he's laid himself down.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. He's an active boar, he just got done with floor time when I noticed he did that. He also runs around his cage a lot with my other boar. So maybe he is just fine then :) thank you!

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Just thought I'd add that one of my boars does that all the time, and he's perfectly healthy! He mostly does it when he's eating. I think he does it to appear bigger so his veggies don't get stolen!

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
That is too cute lol thank you for the reassurance :)
Just thought I'd add that one of my boars does that all the time, and he's perfectly healthy! He mostly does it when he's eating. I think he does it to appear bigger so his veggies don't get stolen!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.