Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Older bonded GPigs bickering suddenly

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
My Brownie is almost 4.5 years old and Winter will be 2 in December (so about 1.75 years old). They've been together since Winter left his mommy and have never had any problems. They barely even fought for dominance ever. Suddenly today Winter has been antagonizing Brownie a lot. He's acting like they do when they go thru puberty. They're in a large enough cage and haven't had any changes recently. Would love input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How has Brownie been acting lately?

Has he slowed down, or have his eating habits changed? Sometimes, when a pig falls ill even though you don't recognize it right away, the pig that isn't ill will assert dominance and harass the other pig who is ill.

Myself, I would monitor Brownie. Winter may also need monitoring, as he may be cranky and his behaviour has changed because HE isn't feeling well.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Well, I've been watching them closely but since the other day they are back to normal. It was just one day that Winter was being such a booger. It was so strange because they just never bicker over dominance. Maybe he was just having a bad day!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's entirely possible. While my current two boars literally NEVER fight (Scooter will occasionally nip at Punkin when he's fed up with his nonsense) Pooper and Sly mostly just tolerated each other. Poopy was ALWAYS at Sly when he was a baby, then Sly grew up and took over being the dominant pig and there were days when he was at Pooper incessantly, nonstop to the point where Sly had to have a time out.

One day, exactly one week before Pooper passed away, their roles reversed and Poopy was harassing Sly badly, and Sly was crying constantly about it. No idea what caused the role reversal and the next day life was back to normal for the most part, but Pooper seemed to again be the dominant pig until he passed away the following Saturday.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I do find myself worrying more quickly about any behavior changes as they get older. Brownie is my sweet boy and I get nervous that he's getting old. He had a cage mate for a very short while when we first got him but he passed away for an unknown reason when they were pretty young leaving us so sad and with a lone piggie. I was afraid Brownie would get lonely so I held him every day for hours until we got Winter several months later. Brownie became so lovey and sweet through that and I became pretty attached!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.