Thread: Need help with strong piggie smell!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Need help with strong piggie smell!

We've had our 3 female piggies for about a month. Their cage has been expanding since we got them - they are now in a 2x7 C&C cage. So I changed their bedding today in the whole entire cage, and they smelled fresh until the afternoon. But by the evening, the whole family room (where the cage is located) smelled like...piggy. It's not pea/poop, it's just the musky but strong smell of piggy "B.O." I wouldn't mind it, but my husband has a VERY sensitive nose to animal smells, and he is hating it. Not sure what to do? I put aspen bedding...did not use any Carefresh this time, as I am trying to "wean off" it - for a big cage like ours, it would be too pricey for the long term. I might sprinkle some Carefresh in the cage tomorrow, hopefully that will help a bit. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: Need help with strong piggie smell!

Turn them all over and compare their private parts. It sounds very much like you may have at least one male. They're notorious for boar "stank," while sows rarely have any odor at all. If you aren't sure about the sexes, see http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

The other possibility is that one or more may have a urinary tract infection, but that doesn't usually have a musky odor.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

They are three females. Well, the two older ones are definitely females. The third is a baby from a pet store, sold as a female. I should probably double check that tomorrow.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts

I'm thinking the same thing as @bpatters. I have never had sows but I have read (and experienced) that a rank stank is attributed to boars. A coworker of mine actually had a similar complaint about her sows, and surprise, one of them was actually a boar. Petstores are notorious for misgendering!

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

If the third one is a male, separate him immediately. He's way past the age when he can impregnate the females, and probably already has.

User Tag List