Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Found a baby rabbit in box

Well, this is new for me, since I'm all about piggies. But I was taking boxes to the side of the road this afternoon, and I saw something moving. It's a baby rabbit, and it has to be maybe a few weeks old (photo attached). I plan on taking him to the nature center tomorrow morning, but what do I do for the night? He doesn't want any hay or veggies, so I'm thinking maybe critical care? I would leave him outside for hopefully his mother to find him, but we have a lot of predators around here, and he's sure to be eaten. Right now, I have him in a huge soft cat carrier with some blankets and hay, but he doesn't have any interest. Is there anything I should do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39614195_1917697391583751_5308441979988738048_n.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	85178

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Found a baby rabbit in box

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Well, this is new for me, since I'm all about piggies. But I was taking boxes to the side of the road this afternoon, and I saw something moving. It's a baby rabbit, and it has to be maybe a few weeks old (photo attached). I plan on taking him to the nature center tomorrow morning, but what do I do for the night? He doesn't want any hay or veggies, so I'm thinking maybe critical care? I would leave him outside for hopefully his mother to find him, but we have a lot of predators around here, and he's sure to be eaten. Right now, I have him in a huge soft cat carrier with some blankets and hay, but he doesn't have any interest. Is there anything I should do?

So cute!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Well, this is new for me, since I'm all about piggies. But I was taking boxes to the side of the road this afternoon, and I saw something moving. It's a baby rabbit, and it has to be maybe a few weeks old (photo attached). I plan on taking him to the nature center tomorrow morning, but what do I do for the night? He doesn't want any hay or veggies, so I'm thinking maybe critical care? I would leave him outside for hopefully https://hungarian-grand-prix.com, but we have a lot of predators around here, and he's sure to be eaten. Right now, I have him in a huge soft cat carrier with some blankets and hay, but he doesn't have any interest. Is there anything I should do?

So cute!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,199 Rec'd/5,732 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3765 Post(s)

I'd get him to the nature center today if at all possible, or call them and ask if there's a wildlife rehabber near you who will take him. The survival rate for wild baby rabbits in captivity is abysmally low, so the sooner you can get him to someone who's experienced in caring for him, the better chance he'll have.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

I found this, it might be helpful?

https://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

Cavy Newbie