Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need advice please

Sarah87

Cavy Gazer
Our Guinea pig bubbles give birth to a baby today & all seems well she only had the one , I have so many questions.. How long before I can handle it & her? When should I clean the cage? Is there anything more I need to do for them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can clean the cage anytime. You can handle them both, and in fact, you should weigh the pup daily to make sure it's gaining weight. It will lose a few grams the first day or so, but then should start steadily gaining.

They both need to be fed like young pups -- alfalfa pellets OR alfalfa hay to supplement their grass hay. Unlimited pellets. A cup or so of veggies for the mom, and the pup will soon start eating veggies as well.

Sarah87

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your advice, she only had the baby yesterday so I think I'm going to clean her cage today & weigh the pup , the pup is so active already running around an watching everything mummy is doing so hopefully that's all good signs .

Sarah87

Cavy Gazer
I checked the sex I'm almost 100% sure that it's a boy my daughter really wants to keep him is there any way I can do that?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not with the mom until after he's neutered. He'll have to be separated from her at 21 days of age, and you'll have to prepare yourself for some pitiful wheeking.

They could live in side-by-side cages until he's old enough to be neutered (I think 3-4 months old), but you'll need a cage on her side. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but can't lift the lid on another cage.

This site may help confirm the sex: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Sarah87

Cavy Gazer
I rang our vet he said if baby & mum are both doing well then he won't need to bring the pup in until 8 weeks to confirm the sex an then bring him in to be neutered. I was also thinking would it be better if I got mum neutered instead ? I know it would have to be after the weaning process

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Spaying a female is a more involved, riskier, and more expensive surgery than neutering a male.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.