Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Short hair Guinea has wet bottom all the sudden?

Kd116

Cavy Slave
I have two short haired guinea pigs, they both had their 6 month check up a month ago. I noticed yesterday that one of them had a wet spot on her butt. I took her out and wiped it with a tissue to make sure it wasn't blood and found it was urine. I cleaned the cage and figured she just peed on herself. However I did some research and found it's not normal for a short haired pig to get a wet bottom, and that it's a symptom of a UTI. She is eating normally and I've seen her drinking from the bottle however since I'm worried it's a UTI I've made sure she is hydrated by cleaning out some syringes and giving her water through those so I can be sure. I stopped giving veggies to either of them and am just giving them hay and pellets as I read that was wise if it is a uti. I washed and dried her bottom this morning and was hoping it wouldn't get wet again but it is once more wet. I took her out and put her in a play pen so that I could get her to pee and I could wipe it with a tissue to see if there was blood in it. No blood...she peed a normal amount and didn't cry or make any indication she was in pain from peeing. No blood in the pee HOWEVER when I wipe her bottom where it's wet it's kind of brown. Doesn't look like blood more like some poo is mixing with the pee. I had also considered she was having diarrhea and have been looking at all the poo in the cage and it looks normal. So basically she just has a wet butt with no other symptoms. It's the weekend and my vet won't open until Monday at 8 but I have a meeting then, and won't be able to get her to the vet until the earliest Monday around 3 or 4. Wondering if there's any other explanation as to why she could have a wet butt...and hoping just for some comfort that she will be ok until she can go to the vet if she needs to go.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
I also should mention she is on towels with fleece blankets on top. The fleece is not new and is absorbing liquid fine.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Please help TT

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Kd116, this board isn't monitored all the time. Someone will reply to you just as soon as they see your posts.

There's no need to cut out her vegetables. They have nothing at all to do with urinary tract infections. About the only time you ever want to cut out vegetables is if the pig has mushy poop or outright diarrhea.

Is there any strong odor to the urine?

More people will read your posts and you'll get more answers if you'll break the posts up into shorter, double-spaced paragraphs. A lot of people will just skip a "wall of text" because it's too hard to read and pick out the important stuff.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=42676]Kd116[/MENTION], this board isn't monitored all the time. Someone will reply to you just as soon as they see your posts.

There's no need to cut out her vegetables. They have nothing at all to do with urinary tract infections. About the only time you ever want to cut out vegetables is if the pig has mushy poop or outright diarrhea.

Is there any strong odor to the urine?

More people will read your posts and you'll get more answers if you'll break the posts up into shorter, double-spaced paragraphs. A lot of people will just skip a "wall of text" because it's too hard to read and pick out the important stuff.

No there is not a strong odor

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then it's unlikely, but not impossible, for it to be a UTI. Most UTI's will have a definite odor.

And if by six month check-up, you mean that she's only 7 months old, it's also unlikely to be a stone. But if you mean you get them checked every six months, and she's actually older than that, then it would be worthwhile to have a vet x-ray for stones. But I don't think I've ever heard of a very young pig having stones.

So of the two, I'd guess UTI, but I still think it's unlikely. Is it possible there's an area of the fleece that's not wicking properly?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm a little puzzled as to why you think there is a problem? You have said that there is no odor, no blood, and she doesn't appear to be in pain.

She may be wet simply from urinating and then continuing to lie in the same spot....and in an area where the fleece may not be wicking as well as you may think. I have one boy who absolutely loves to lounge in the litter box in the hay. He will pee and poop and then just sit there without a second thought. He is a Dalmatian and has a white underbelly, so his genital area is frequently damp with this stained appearance. He often needs "butt baths" before he comes out for lap time. And, BTW, you mention a slightly brown color to the area? Be aware that when urine oxidizes, it turns an orange/brown shade......which could be what you're seeing.

I don't see any cause for alarm because she doesn't have any symptoms. I would relax a bit about the situation and continue to monitor her. If she exhibits signs of a UTI, then of course I would get it checked out.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
They get checked every 6 months. I don't know her exact the because I got her from someone else but as far as I know she is 3 years old. Of course it's possible the fleece isn't working properly somewhere but from what I've observed it's working just fine.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
I'm a little puzzled as to why you think there is a problem? You have said that there is no odor, no blood, and she doesn't appear to be in pain.

She may be wet simply from urinating and then continuing to lie in the same spot....and in an area where the fleece may not be wicking as well as you may think. I have one boy who absolutely loves to lounge in the litter box in the hay. He will pee and poop and then just sit there without a second thought. He is a Dalmatian and has a white underbelly, so his genital area is frequently damp with this stained appearance. He often needs "butt baths" before he comes out for lap time. And, BTW, you mention a slightly brown color to the area? Be aware that when urine oxidizes, it turns an orange/brown shade......which could be what you're seeing.

I don't see any cause for alarm because she doesn't have any symptoms. I would relax a bit about the situation and continue to monitor her. If she exhibits signs of a UTI, then of course I would get it checked out.
I'm just worried because she's never had a wet bottom like this before and I hadn't changed anything about her bedding. Also because I've read in several places that it's a symptom of a UTI. I hope you're right and it's nothing...I'll keep an eye on her.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Then it's unlikely, but not impossible, for it to be a UTI. Most UTI's will have a definite odor.

And if by six month check-up, you mean that she's only 7 months old, it's also unlikely to be a stone. But if you mean you get them checked every six months, and she's actually older than that, then it would be worthwhile to have a vet x-ray for stones. But I don't think I've ever heard of a very young pig having stones.

So of the two, I'd guess UTI, but I still think it's unlikely. Is it possible there's an area of the fleece that's not wicking properly?
They get checked every 6 months. I don't know her exact age because I got her from someone else but as far as I know she is 3 years old. Of course it's possible the fleece isn't working properly somewhere but from what I've observed it's working just fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you think she's at least three, and you're worried about her, then I'd ask for an x-ray for stones. But if she's not squeaking while peeing or pooping, she's not showing the major sign of a stone.

Like [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION], I've had two pigs that absolutely preferred sleeping in their poop piles, and always had bottoms that needed tending to.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
If you think she's at least three, and you're worried about her, then I'd ask for an x-ray for stones. But if she's not squeaking while peeing or pooping, she's not showing the major sign of a stone.

Like @spy9doc, I've had two pigs that absolutely preferred sleeping in their poop piles, and always had bottoms that needed tending to.
I'll call the vet Monday and see what she says. I just wanted to see if it seemed like something I should be very very worried about.
That makes sense...however she's never been dirty like this before.

Kd116

Cavy Slave

Like [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION], I've had two pigs that absolutely preferred sleeping in their poop piles, and always had bottoms that needed tending to.

Just wanted to update you...we went to the vet and she does have a UTI. Vet put her on metacam and Bactrium

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update you...we went to the vet and she does have a UTI. Vet put her on metacam and Bactrium

Thanks for the update........so we were wrong. The important thing is that she has been properly diagnosed and is receiving treatment. Surely you are feeling better about the situation? Keep us posted!

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the update........so we were wrong. The important thing is that she has been properly diagnosed and is receiving treatment. Surely you are feeling better about the situation? Keep us posted!

Thanks! I'm wondering if the bactrium can cause aggression? When I came home today I noticed she made a kind of growling sound and lunged at her cage mate as she walked by her pigloo.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, bacteria don't cause aggression. Not feeling good can make a pig cranky, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.