Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My new Guinea pig wont eat from my hand and its the 3rd day

Brady

Cavy Gazer
Hi I just got a new Guinea pig as a friend for my older one, but I have to quarantine them apart. The new one that I got comes out when I leave, but once I enter the room she either sits there not moving, or runs to the giant temporary box hidey we made her. I have tried putting food in front of her face, and she just ignores it and runs past. Are old one was already eating from are hand the 2nd day we got her, so I'm not sure how to get this one to come out. She is about 3 months old while the other one is about 2 years.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every piggy is different. Some love human attention, others tolerate it and some never get used to it. The biggest thing to remember is that guinea pigs are prey animals. They know by instinct that every other animal out there wants to eat them, and they act as such.

Once your new pig gets used to you, you should find them more outgoing around you. Absolutely handfeeding them yummy treats will help, and taking her out of the cage and holding her while you have yummy treats will also help. The more you are around them, talking to them, touching them and offering them treats, the more they will come to trust you. Just understand that some pigs never do.

If you take her out of the cage for yummy treats, try doing it with her wrapped in a towel like a burrito. It will help secure her, and help prevent her from jumping out and falling.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
If you've only had her 3 days, she's probably still settling in as well, and just needs some time to get used to her new surroundings. Some pigs are more nervous than others and might take longer to adjust to a new place. Others are very outgoing and are quicker to adjust. I'd give her at least a week to acclimate. It's fine to slip into the room and talk to her quietly or stand where she can see you or whatever during that time, but don't worry if she's not comfortable right away taking food from you. As long as food disappears and poop appears, then everything's fine for now. :) And as Guinea Pig Papa said, they're all different individuals and some may come to like human attention more than others.

Brady

Cavy Gazer
OK thank you guys so much! I just can't wait to introduce her to my older one, and get her to feel comfortable around me. Ill wait a week, and make sure that she is eating and drinking properly. Hopefully she will be ready by then.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Quarantine should be a total of 21 days. It's to make sure any underlying illnesses are no longer a threat. Quarantine should be done in separate rooms and behind closed doors. Introductions should not be done until after that 21 day period.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.