Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello~ (Guestion about fighting)

MadHatter40

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I'm new here and happy to own three guinea pigs! So ummm yeah! Anyways to the question xD. So when I first got Trump (3rd guinea pig) it went well. Hickory was showing dominance but not fighting and Guinea was chill about it. By the way, Hickory and Guinea are littermates. So they lived in an area that was as big as a 3 by 3 C&C cage. Everything was fine at first and then after five days, Guinea started to pick on Trump and Hickory. I haven't seen any fights and didn't see any bites at first but then I left for Kansas. Before I had left I gave the guinea pigs a 3 by 4 C&C cage, this is when i realize they didnt have a big enough cage. When I returned home Guinea had all these bites, Hickory was terrified of both of them, and Trump had the least amount of bites. I put my step-dad in charge of the guinea pigs and basically never again. Anyways after I put them down to see who was making the mayhem it was Guinea. He started to chase Hickory right away and Trump intervenes and had a fight with Guinea. I then proceed to put Guinea in the store-bought cage, while Hickory and Trump stayed in the C&C cage. So after a day, I tried to put Guinea back with the others and he was chasing Hickory and got him on the behind. Then after another day, I tried once more and he didn't get Hickory but Trump provoked him and got in a fight. I kept trying this for a week but I wasn't able to do it the next week since I move to different houses each week. After I return to my home with the guinea pigs, I realize if I put Guinea down with the others he will immediately try to attack the other guinea pigs. After 2 weeks of just Guinea communicating through the grid wall and metal fence, I tried once again. This time it was both Hickory and Trump that attacked Guinea. Trump and Guinea even attacked each other when he was on my lap and on my friends, which I read was neutral ground.

So the question is can I make them stop fighting?

Btw sorry for the long paragraph xD

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Are Hickory, Trump and Guinea all male guinea pigs?

If so that may be the root cause of the problems. Three boars almost never work together, and it is quite common to have these kind of issues when trying to house three males together.

I don't think you will be able to stop them from fighting.

If you can find the two that work well together (which sounds like Hickory and Trump might be the best pairing), and either permanently housing the third on the other side of a dividing wall or looking for a fourth guinea pig to pair with the single one so you would have two completely separate pairs. If two separate pairs is the path you want to go down you could even look into having stacked cages so that both pairs can have a decently sized cage without taking up too much space in the room.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Here are links to some examples from the photo gallery of stacked cages:

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Yes, sadly boar trios rarely work. You risk Hickory and Guinea hating each other and winding up with three solo boars. I would remove Trump permanently from the two you already have, finding him his own cagemate. Or like the other user said, match up the two that get along the best. I also don't think you will be able to stop the fighting with all 3.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@MadHatter40, welcome to the forum!

Your posts will be more readable and you'll get more answers if you'll break them up into separate paragraphs that are double spaced. Many people will just skip a "wall of text."

MadHatter40

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, guys sm! I was honestly so stressed about this xD. My guinea pigs are boars and I didn't know they would be so harsh to each other. I am going to try and convince my mom to get more grids to make the stacked cage. I might get another guinea pig, but I only have two cages at the moment so I'm just going to wait for the other C&C cage. Other than that Trump and Hickory seem to be doing fine!

Sorry for the bulky paragraph! Next time I post I'll make it more readable! :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're thinking about another guinea pig, find a good rescue close to you and see if they'll let you arrange a "meet and greet" with your solo pig. Such a meeting is no guarantee that they'll get along, but if they hate each other at first sight, you'll at least know that and save time trying to make them live together peaceably.

MadHatter40

Cavy Gazer
That's an awesome idea! I will definitely do that in the future! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.