Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New piggies question

melchiorvester

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I just recently got 2 female guinea pigs and I have them both placed in a 4x2 cnc cage. I was just wondering how long in other people's experience is for there guinea pigs to feel comfortable around them? I have had them for 3 days now ( I know that is still really early and new), they get along together and cuddle together no flighting. They come out from their houses when i'm just sitting at my computer which is right next to their cage but as soon as I move and get up they run inside.

When they are outside their house they eat and drink and do all the normal piggy things. They also seem to run a lot, and I mean a lot and they do the little spaz jump like they are popcorning from what I believe, I am just sitting at my computer next to them with the 2 not having an issue doing what I said. Just wondering if that was normal for them to be comfortable with me next to them but once I come home or get up they run away and hide. Again they are still really know and I know it takes time to tame them. I have had 2 pigs before at separate times but I was young at the time and don't remember the tame process.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hi [MENTION=42658]melchiorvester[/MENTION],

Here's what I would keep in mind -- guinea pigs are prey animals by nature. That is to say, their instinct is to hide when startled or unsure. To them, you are a big scary beast. It's only been 3 days. It can take weeks, even months for guinea pigs to get used to their human. One thing you can do to ease their transition is to associate your presence with positive things. Feed them from your hands - baby carrots, blueberries, slices of bell pepper, etc. Talk to them when you are in the room, let them hear your voice. Talk to them while you are feeding them. They will start to associate your voice and presence with positive things like yummy treats.

mauvemoth

Cavy Slave
It can take a matter of days, weeks, or months. Your guinea pig are naturally prey animals. It really all depends on your piggies personalities. I adopted a 3 year old girl about 3 years ago. She wouldn't speak, come out of her hidey, and she would only eat when I wasn't around. Fast forward to today....She has trusted me more. I have have one really out going piggy, she has learned a lot of her. Via being more out going! Just be patient. Start slow. Give them a bit to adjust. Try to think from their perspective. Give them space to adjust to their new surroundings. :) They will be slowly start to trust you more and more.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I'd say you're well on your way to them getting used to you if they're already coming out and eating and playing with you present! I've had a few pigs who took over a week to get to that point; they probably would've taken longer if my resident boar hadn't convinced them that I was a "good guy". Since you're right there next to them, try talking to them a little from time to time to get them used to your voice. (I used to ask my pigs' opinions on what I was writing/studying all the time!) Hand-feeding treats is also a great way to develop trust; teach them that good things come from human hands. Try to move slowly and give them a little warning when you go to get up, this will help them not to be quite so startled when you go to move, but keep in mind that it still may take several weeks or months for them to get used to your regular comings and goings. It's really just a matter of giving them the time they need to adjust.

melchiorvester

Cavy Slave
Hi @melchiorvester,

Here's what I would keep in mind -- guinea pigs are prey animals by nature. That is to say, their instinct is to hide when startled or unsure. To them, you are a big scary beast. It's only been 3 days. It can take weeks, even months for guinea pigs to get used to their human. One thing you can do to ease their transition is to associate your presence with positive things. Feed them from your hands - baby carrots, blueberries, slices of bell pepper, etc. Talk to them when you are in the room, let them hear your voice. Talk to them while you are feeding them. They will start to associate your voice and presence with positive things like yummy treats.

Right yeah I know they are afraid of large things and they are prey. Hand feeding is still pretty difficult and they still tend to stay away but like I said before its early on in the stage of trust

melchiorvester

Cavy Slave
I'd say you're well on your way to them getting used to you if they're already coming out and eating and playing with you present! I've had a few pigs who took over a week to get to that point; they probably would've taken longer if my resident boar hadn't convinced them that I was a "good guy". Since you're right there next to them, try talking to them a little from time to time to get them used to your voice. (I used to ask my pigs' opinions on what I was writing/studying all the time!) Hand-feeding treats is also a great way to develop trust; teach them that good things come from human hands. Try to move slowly and give them a little warning when you go to get up, this will help them not to be quite so startled when you go to move, but keep in mind that it still may take several weeks or months for them to get used to your regular comings and goings. It's really just a matter of giving them the time they need to adjust.

Okay yeah I have been trying to get up slowly from my chair since getting them so they don't get startled. They hear my voice pretty often since I am talking on the computer like all the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.