Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications guinea pig arthritis question!

Kieri

Cavy Slave
hello!

my guinea pig, obcy, has arthritis in her hips. she had an x-ray done around june to confirm it, and the vet put her on joint supplement drops. its a holistic herbal mixture (0.25 ml per day), it isnt a true pain medication. they have worked very well, but i feel she needs a dosing of metacam to make her more comfortable. (the vet wanted to try herbal before using pain medicine.)

current health: sits hunched, slight hobbling when walking. some days she uses her legs independently, other days she hobbles. she doesnt chatter much at all. she eats, drinks, and poops normally. shes vocal. her routine is identical to her healthy sister. shes able to pancake out while sleeping. shes on my lap right now and shes completely sprawled out, back legs and all!! she ambulates around the cage. so pretty much, other than the hobbling, shes doing okay! before starting her herbal drops, she wasnt able to walk very well, she couldnt lay down at all, and she didnt move much.

here is the issue- the vet i go to is the type to nickel and dime clients. i have spent upward to a thousand dollars or so in vet bills since may. months ago the vet told me i could simply call in to start metacam or renew the drops as needed, but that wasnt the case. when i tried to renew her herbal drops, they made me bring obcy in for an exam and all that. i tried to explain to them that i didnt have the money to the point i started crying on the phone hoping they would understand, but they made me and i did it because she needs those drops. i ended up paying $267 for the visit when i was under the impression all i had to do was repurchase the $30 drops as needed. im still trying to pay my mom back for helping me with that unexpected bill. (im going to call tomorrow morning to ask and see if i get lucky, JUST in case... but i doubt itll go that direction).

at the end of the day, i understand seeing a vet is optimal, but obcy is a little over 7 years old. we know she has arthritis. i want her more comfortable, i want her quality of life boosted. but i dont have the money for a $75 visit, another $100 xray, on top of whatever the metacam would cost. id also prefer to not make her travel over an hour and a half in the car, as it stresses her out greatly. she also experiences EXTREME stress in the vets office each time i take her. even when i get home, shes on edge shaking and spooked for hours until she settles back down. it isnt worth it at her age to put her through unnecessary stress, if i can just do this myself.

i see that i can purchase metacam online. does anyone have any recommendations on buying it online, along with dosing? i have a scale to weigh her and plenty of 1-3 ml syringes for oral administration.

like i said, i know going to the vet is optimal, but i already have a confirmed dx of arthritis and i absolutely dont have the funds. traveling used to not bother obcy at all, but with her age it greatly stresses her out and i want to avoid it if i can.

thank you!!!

Kieri

Cavy Slave
thank you so, so, so much

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.