Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding What to use for the kitchen, pig doesn't like Carefresh

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
The thread about this is old, so I thought it was fine to start a new one. I have a sneezy three month old. He's been checked already, and he's perfectly healthy, gaining weight and all, but I think it's the carefresh in the kitchen area along with hay dust occasionally since he only sneezes the most when around that. Is there any alternative to what to use there? I thought Clean & Comfort, and I bought a small bag to test for the next cleaning, but should I just use fleece with a pad underneath instead of any bedding in the kitchen? (I have waterproof crib liners under my fleece) Also. I worry about them eating any of the bedding. I haven't seen them do that yet, but they do chew on everything right now.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm not a big fan of buying anything from Petco, but make one major exception. I have tried many different types of litter, but am sold on Petco's SoPhresh Crumbled Paper Litter. It is superb at odor control, only moderately dusty, and is a good buy compared to other brands. I have been using it for about 5-6 years with no cavy allergies. I buy the largest available size, but you may want to buy a smaller bag until you see how your boy tolerates it.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/so-phresh-crumbled-paper-small-animal-bedding

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Hmm, the reviews seem pretty good, aside from only two. I might give it a try. I changed to the white carefresh (I used blue all the time because it wasn't as...hard), and he seems to be much better. Only heard him sneeze once. Odd. I think I'll try experiments to see which makes him sneeze less. If worst came to worst, I'd probably just do fleece with a liner. Thanks!

Muffinsmommy

Cavy Gazer
My piggie loves the SoPhresh Crumbled Paper Litter- she had allergies to the blue carefresh too, maybe its just too dusty for sensitive piggies..
Bonus: Petco will price match whatever price is online so I always end up getting a better deal with the SoPhresh

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
So I used SoPhresh tonight, and while the sneezing has stopped (so far)... of course he has to try to eat it. I don't know if because it's new, he's curious what it is... or what, but because it has baking soda in it, I'm worried it might make him ill if he does ingest it. Looks like I'll be using fleece for the entire cage at this rate. The other pig couldn't care less.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
So I am one of the ones that use fleece for the entire cage. I still have the 1x2 coroplast kitchens, but instead of bedding I have a 1x2 fleece potty pad I bought from etsy. I pile their hay on it sweep off noticeable poop as needed. Once a day I sweep off the entire thing, throw in wash and replace with a new one.

I didn't like all the waste from the bedding so prefer this. To make it easier for my pet sitter I did switch to a unbleached white paper bedding I bought online from Small Pet Select and was really impressed. No dust and the white color made it easy to see which parts are soiled. My guinea pigs did try nibbling it but since it is just paper it wasn't a concern.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.