Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Guinea Pigs fighting, please help!

KavyKisser

Cavy Gazer
Hello, before continuing I'd just like to let you know I'm new here so if anything is unclear please let me know, I'm just figuring things out.

Now, without further ado, I really need help with my guinea pigs. I have two cavies (Hippo & Pumpkin) I had Pumpkin and a different cavy first and they were very close. After her friend passed away suddenly Pumpkin was stuck alone, fearing she may get depressed I purchased another guinea pig later that year (Hippo) however things did not go as planned. Pumpkin attacked Hippo every chance she got so I had to separate them. I recently obtained a very large enclosure for them but seeing as I can't keep them together without worrying for Hippo (it's very bad, Hippo is so terrified of Pumpkin that she screams every time Pumpkin even approaches her) I can't give them both what would be a better enclosure. I have tried finding ways to make them get along, I've read that eventually they would figure out the alpha and such but no matter how much time they spend together in new places that aren't marker as either of their territory, they still fight. I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just separate them permanently? I have also considered getting a third guinea pig and seeing if that guinea pig could help out. Please leave advice!

Edit: there is also a lot of one - sidedness, Pumpkin will attack but Hippo does not fight back. Even when Pumpkin is not bitting her there is a lot of teeth chattering going on.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
From my previous experience, I have purchased another guinea and it has not gone well due to dominance and Hierarchy. Maybe it would be best for them to be spayed? It's up to you whether your willing for them to be separated permanently or spay and see how that goes on inductions.

Hope this helps��

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I personally would not add a third guinea pig to the mix when the two you already have don't get along. Has there been blood drawn yet? Most people seperate their pigs once that occurs.

As for spaying, it probably won't help with aggression. Some users swear that desexing their pigs reduce aggression or fighting, but for the most part, it won't. When I first got my Hippo and Michael, they were fighting and I asked my vet (who is in charge of desexing guinea pigs and the only one who is able to spay) if neutering would help. She said no, neutering is only if you want to prevent pregnancy, nothing more, unless there is a medical reason for doing so.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Some users swear that desexing their pigs reduce aggression or fighting, but for the most part, it won't.

That may be true with sows, but definitely not true for boars. Folks who say that neutering does nothing to reduce aggression (and sexual behavior) in boars are ignoring a fundamental principle of biology. The testicles manufacture testosterone which is the hormone of aggression and desire in both human males and in animals. If the testicles are removed, the production factory shuts down. Neutering male cavies WILL reduce aggression toward other boars. As an aside, one Vet expert tells me that yes, it will reduce aggression toward other cavies, but will not reduce aggression toward humans.

If you are putting Hippo and Pumpkin together and then separating them again repeatedly, then you are causing more conflict than is necessary. Cavies are hard-wired to establish dominance and will do this any time they are reintroduced. That's why play-dates don't work for cavies. There is a lot of information here on the forum regarding cavy introductions. Use the "search" function (top right, red magnifying glass) and you will find information regarding just about any topic you wish to learn more about.

I wish you the best. I unfortunately have little experience with sows and don't have much experience to offer.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc looks like we will have to agree to disagree! I have read countless threads about the topic, as I wanted to neuter my aggressive pig, and the general concensus seems to be that it doesn't seem to be a 100% fix to aggression. Some pigs have no personality change. I also trust my vet, and you are free to trust yours as well :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@KavyKisser, how did you introduce them? In a neutral area? And then put them back into a thoroughly cleaned cage that smelled nothing like either pig? If not, you may need to separate for a while and try again. Read this: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

And please don't get a third guinea pig. Not only will it not help, it may make things worse.

KavyKisser

Cavy Gazer
@KavyKisser, how did you introduce them? In a neutral area? And then put them back into a thoroughly cleaned cage that smelled nothing like either pig?

I was actually away (due to some complications the day before) when they first arrived and the person that ended up in charge did not introduce them in a neutral area. However, I returned back home the day after they were introduced and decided to try it again, I separated them for a few days and then took them out, bathed them both and set them down in neutral territory in my backyard and then put them back in a spot that smelled nothing like either pig (a brand new cage) I don't know if it's just a series of unfortunate events due to that first introduction or not but I did my best to reintroduce them afterwards.
Also, thanks for the article, I'll definitely look into it

KavyKisser

Cavy Gazer
If you are putting Hippo and Pumpkin together and then separating them again repeatedly, then you are causing more conflict than is necessary. Cavies are hard-wired to establish dominance and will do this any time they are reintroduced. That's why play-dates don't work for cavies. There is a lot of information here on the forum regarding cavy introductions. Use the "search" function (top right, red magnifying glass) and you will find information regarding just about any topic you wish to learn more about

I was separating them often. I'd try not to, I'd try to keep them together for multiple days but the longer I kept them together the more I'd hear Hippo screaming and I just couldn't listen to that without doing anything. However, thank you for telling me that I was causing more harm than good because I did not know that; and thank you for informing me on how to find introduction threads, I will read through those

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
looks like we will have to agree to disagree! I have read countless threads about the topic. I also trust my vet, and you are free to trust yours as well

Agree-to-disagree is certainly o.k. with me. But, I will tell you that I don't have to depend on my Vet for information. I'm a doctor and a college professor......and I teach biology. I don't claim to be an expert in all things cavy and thus sometimes seek advice from those more knowledgeable than I.

I stand my ground. If you can provide good scientific evidence that I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn something new. :cool:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'd hear Hippo screaming and I just couldn't listen to that without doing anything

And, i know that was tearing your heart out! Hippo may be so fearful of Pumpkin that she may never be able to live with her. You may have to continue with a divided cage so that they can socialize with each other, but where Pumpkin can't physically get to Hippo.......... or else get a couple more cavies so that each of them has a new roommate.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I would not add a third pig if those two aren?t getting along. Maybe two seperate cages or a divder? And if you want you could even get each of them a roommate.

KavyKisser

Cavy Gazer
Blood was just drawn a few hours ago (for the first time) so I decided to separate them both permanently. If fixing the cavies is not helpful I think I will just keep them separated.
thank you to everyone who offered advice though :)

KavyKisser

Cavy Gazer
You may have to continue with a divided cage so that they can socialize with each other, but where Pumpkin can't physically get to Hippo
I have decided to do just that. They seem to do fine when separated (no teeth chattering and they aren't trying to get each other through cage bars)

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Aw that sucks how they won't get along :( From my understanding, as long as piggies can hear and talk to each other, they can still live a happy life when seperated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.