Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Uh - Oh

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted two males - one is a guinea & one is a skinny. They have been together for 5 + years.

They have NOT been getting along well since I got them.

My skinny has some pretty bad battle wounds (cuts, scratches & even bite marks)

Is there a medicine I should apply to him or just not worry about it?

Since I realized he was getting more & more battle wounds, I have them separated right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any change in living conditions can set off squabbles.

How large is the cage?

FYI, they're both guinea pigs. One is haired and one isn't.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
They were in a Deluxe Living World Habitat - & then a 5x2 C & C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope somebody who's been through this before will weigh in, because I've never had this situation. But here's what I'd do.

I wouldn't want to separate them any more than absolutely necessary, because you don't want to wind up with two solo pigs. I'd give them a buddy bath -- together, not separately. The idea is that the shared terror of the bath may make them forget their animosity. And I'd put a tiny, tiny drop of vanilla on each nose with a q-tip. If they both have the same smell, that may calm them down a little.

Also, if you have things that were in the old cage that you haven't put in the new cage, put them back in. Give them as much familiar stuff as you can.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'd give them a buddy bath -- together, not separately. The idea is that the shared terror of the bath may make them forget their animosity. And I'd put a tiny, tiny drop of vanilla on each nose with a q-tip. If they both have the same smell, that may calm them down a little.

In addition to the drop on the nose, put several drops of the vanilla on their bums. This is an old trick of breeders to calm things down and give them time to bond (or re-bond) a bit. Do you know which one starts the fights? Just because the skinny has the battle wounds doesn't mean that he isn't the culprit. You may want to consider getting the aggressor neutered, although if they are really 5 yrs. old, this may not be a viable option. I generally have my boars neutered when they are fairly young and that greatly reduces aggression and fighting. My current boys never displayed the usual dominance behaviors before I had them neutered, but they are certainly peace-loving middle-aged men now. Yes, they occasionally have a squabble, but nothing serious.

Be sure that the haired piggy's nails are kept neatly trimmed......and filed to smooth any rough edges. I cut my boys' nails, smooth them with a Dremel, and then add a dab of clear nail polish. The nail polish seals any rough edges and that results in fewer scratches on my delicate skin.

I assume that you have taken other steps such as two entrances for every hidey so no one gets trapped, two of everything such as food dishes, water bottles, etc?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.