Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Adult and Baby Housed together

Henry And Yuki

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I?m preparing to adopt a baby guinea pig as a companion for one and a half year old guinea pig. I want to house them in the same cage. I heard you have to give guinea pigs that are under 6 months old alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets, because they need the extra calcium to grow.

How should I give my baby guinea pig alfalfa food without letting my adult guinea pig eat the alfalfa hay and pellets? Should I just give the baby guinea pig alfalfa pellets and Timothy hay? Should I just give the baby guinea pig the alfalfa pellets during lap time, so my adult guinea pig can?t eat the Alfafa pellets?

Thanks for advice,

Henry and Yuki

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No pig HAS to have alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is just a convenient way to give young pups the extra calcium they need, but that can be accomplished in other ways.

I'd feed them both good quality timothy (or other grass) hay and pellets, and take the pup out once a day for a sprig or two of parsley.

Henry And Yuki

Cavy Slave
Should I give them alfalfa pellets or just regular oxbow pellets?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd feed them both good quality timothy (or other grass) hay and pellets

"Regular" Oxbow pellets can be several kinds of timothy pellets and several kinds of alfalfa pellets. Feed timothy pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.