Thread: Guinea Pig lost his friend 2 nights ago, and he doesn't eat or move that much.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Guinea Pig lost his friend 2 nights ago, and he doesn't eat or move that much.

Hi,
    2 nights ago my beloved Blondie passed away. Ever Since Sunshine has been very lethargic and hasn't been eating that much. I got my friend to bring his guinea pigs over, but Sunshine was still depressed. Yesterday, he weighed 1171 grams, and today he weighs 1159 grams. I am planning on getting a new guinea pig in a couple of days. Is there anything I can do to make him happy and eating. Also, how old should my new guinea pig be if Sunshine is 1 year and 7 months old right now?
    Thank you so much for your help,

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,059 Rec'd/5,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3649 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig lost his friend 2 nights ago, and he doesn't eat or move that much.

You need to make sure he eats. It's the most important thing you can do for him, and if doesn't eat, you need to force feed him.

However 12 grams isn't a significant weight loss. It's about two teaspoons of water, and can be accounted for by how recently he'd peed before the two weighings.

The age of the new pig doesn't really matter. Personality is far more important. If you can find a reputable guinea pig rescue around you, you may be able to take Sunshine in and let him pick out his own new cage mate.

FYI, having someone bring in other guinea pigs not only won't help Sunshine, it will just make things worse. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance every time they meet a new pig, and putting them through that stress when the visiting pigs are just going to turn around and go home isn't helpful to them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig lost his friend 2 nights ago, and he doesn't eat or move that much.

UPDATE: He has lost 40 grams since yesterday.
    Unfortunately, there aren't any shelters nearby that have any guinea pigs. So I don't really know what to do. As much as I want to get him a friend, I don't want to go to a pet store. But I might have to. I've done loads of research on the nearest rescue, but they are super far away. I tried forcing some lettuce into his mouth, but he is stubborn and wont eat it. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Maybe you can get a piggy from kijiji?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,059 Rec'd/5,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3649 Post(s)

Trying to force lettuce into his mouth won't work. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...g-a-guinea-pig for how to force feed a guinea pig, and post back here if you have problems.

Where do you live? City/state, not your actual address. We might be able to help you find a pig.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I live in Lake Zurich IL. I am looking for a guinea pig that is younger than him and less than 20 miles away.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,059 Rec'd/5,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3649 Post(s)

Critter Corral, which has a great reputation, has adoption events all over NW Illinois. If I still lived in that area and wanted a guinea pig, that's who I'd be talking to. Website is http://crittercorral.org/.

There are 27 listings for guinea pigs for adoption within 30 miles of Lake Zurich on Petfinder. There's absolutely no need for you to purchase a pig from a pet store. See https://www.petfinder.com/search/sma...ies=Guinea+Pig

User Tag List