Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting How to tell how old a guinea pig is?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Hi y'all. For the past few months I have been eyeballing an adorable guinea pig at my local SPCA. They do not list his age, saying only that he is a senior. I would really like to foster or even adopt him, pairing him up with a younger male piggy from the same location. I do not mind caring for an older piggy, but I don't want a piggy so old that it gets a serious medical complication and dies soon after. I have already contacted the SPCA and asked for his age, but they do not know. Are there any physical characteristics to determine age? Is there anything I can do to determine if he is healthy? Here is a pic of the piggy in question, Snickers!
c22612b4-9854-4ade-b965-30759f953c9b.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have been told that something about the toes turning will tell you if they're older, but that's it. There is absolutely no definitive way to tell how old a piggy is. Sly's toes all turned outwards when he got older, and he had little wisps of fur on them making them look like Jim Carrey's hands in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. One of Sly's
endless list of nicknames was "Grinchfeet"

My suggestion? Take him, and love him for whatever time he has. They all deserve it, and I know he would love you for it. He obviously needs a home very desperately.

He IS a handsome little man. I think he would make you very happy.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for replying so quickly! Darn, I was really hoping there would be some more ways to determine age. I do not mind adopting an old man, but my partner is extremely hesitant about the idea. I saw Snicker's adoption page shortly after I got my two boars in May, and I've been pestering him wheekly if we could adopt him! He is most concerned about medical costs, but I don't mind that much. I am hoping a visit to the SPCA will change his mind when we move into our guinea pig approved apartment in two weeks! Fingers crossed.

Also here is a pic of the piggy I'd pair him up with (if they get along). 1yo Alister.

Attachments

3c625c5e-781d-45b4-9f0b-6266a0363adf.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for replying so quickly! Darn, I was really hoping there would be some more ways to determine age. I do not mind adopting an old man, but my partner is extremely hesitant about the idea. I saw Snicker's adoption page shortly after I got my two boars in May, and I've been pestering him wheekly if we could adopt him! He is most concerned about medical costs, but I don't mind that much. I am hoping a visit to the SPCA will change his mind when we move into our guinea pig approved apartment in two weeks! Fingers crossed.

Also here is a pic of the piggy I'd pair him up with (if they get along). 1yo Alister.

Alister is also a handsome fellow. Something tells me they would get along great.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately there really isn't much of a way to tell age once they are adults. The only real defining features I can think of for senior pigs is that their body shape changes over time. They become slimmer along their top line and many develop a bit of a waddling walk.

I will say though, I wouldn't really let fear of veterinary bills be your deciding factor. A pig of any age can become ill or develop a chronic illness. Many people have younger guinea pigs who develop serious issues. It really seems to be a luck of the draw with them. Some pigs are plagued with issues, while others go their entire lives with a problem.

If you're prepared for medical bills then go for it!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Sometimes an experienced cavy-saavy Vet can pretty accurately determine a cavy's age. I don't know if that extends to senior piggies as well?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Oh I know that all too well. My 7 month old piggy has heart problems, which has put us back $300 in the three months I've owned him. I know that if I was an animal, I'd want an owner who brought me to the vet and got me medicine! Snickers is actually being housed at an exotics vet, to give more visibility to the public, so I'll call them tomorrow and ask about his health :)

I'll have to have a conversation about Snickers tonight with my partner!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh I know that all too well. My 7 month old piggy has heart problems, which has put us back $300 in the three months I've owned him. I know that if I was an animal, I'd want an owner who brought me to the vet and got me medicine! Snickers is actually being housed at an exotics vet, to give more visibility to the public, so I'll call them tomorrow and ask about his health :)

I'll have to have a conversation about Snickers tonight with my partner!

I do hope it goes in your favour! If you've been watching him at the SPCA since May, that tells me (sadly) that no one is interested in saving him. I truly believe that he desperately needs a home, and your help.

Please keep us updated!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.