Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI - Contagious? _ how to disinfect cage

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Good morning everyone, It's been awhile since I posted. My little Tink (4.5 years old) has crossed over the piggie rainbow bridge last night. It was a very stressful weekend. Had her to the vet on Saturday and she was diagnosed with a URI. Put her on meds but it was too late. She stopped eating and I tried to give her Critical care all weekend but she fought me through it all. I'm a mess today but trying to move through this and make sure the other two girls are ok. I had separated them yesterday morning (took Mama and Pixie out). Probably made no difference but felt I needed to do something. I am taking them to the vet today for a check-up even though they seem fine. How can I disinfect their cage? They are on fleece and C&C. Also, I need to make sure they are getting their vitamin C and Pixie will not take the Oxbow tabs. Any other vitamin C options? Thank you.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've always disinfected my boys cage with a vinegar/water mix. The vinegar should kill anything that you spray it on. Just make sure you clean the vinegar off before you put your girls back in. Wash the fleece with hot water and some bleach.

I use vitamin C drops. I've syringe fed them, and you can also dribble a drop or two on a favourite treat like a cucumber slice. But a big daily slice of red pepper should give them adequate daily vitamin c, and if you use Oxbow pellets I know that they contain stabilized vitamin c.

And lastly, please let me share my most sincere condolences on the loss of Tink. I'm positive that she has met Sly already at the Rainbow Bridge. Perhaps they can explore the Bridge together and learn where the best dandelion greens are hiding.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thank you Guinea Pig papa. Your comment about Sly is making me cry again. I'm sorry for your loss as well. I'm sure they've met and will be enjoying their new life with the rest of the piggies that have passed. It's so hard. They are such sweet pets and I hate going through this. Just hoping my other two girls are strong and will come through without getting it.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your tips. I'll look for the vitamin C drops. My girls eats KMS pellets as they have had issues with stones in the past.
I'll check the vitamin C level there before taking to Vet so I have all my info.

thanks again.

Jen

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My boys have decided that they are on strike and are only occasionally eating bell peppers. So, on those days I syringe a half-dropper of Oasis Vita Drops (Vitamin-C drops) available at most pet stores. You can either dilute it or feed it full-strength.

Oasis Vita Drops.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you Guinea Pig papa. Your comment about Sly is making me cry again. I'm sorry for your loss as well. I'm sure they've met and will be enjoying their new life with the rest of the piggies that have passed. It's so hard. They are such sweet pets and I hate going through this. Just hoping my other two girls are strong and will come through without getting it.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your tips. I'll look for the vitamin C drops. My girls eats KMS pellets as they have had issues with stones in the past.

I'll check the vitamin C level there before taking to Vet so I have all my info.

thanks again.

Jen

I'm sorry, Jen. I didn't mean to upset you. I know how hard it is, you and I are in the same boat at the moment.

I use the same drops as @spy9doc just listed. You can literally use them with almost anything. I used to mix a few drops in with Sly's Critical Care when he was having difficulty eating after his surgeries, and especially recently when he stopped eating his morning peppers.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
My boys have decided that they are on strike and are only occasionally eating bell peppers. So, on those days I syringe a half-dropper of Oasis Vita Drops (Vitamin-C drops) available at most pet stores. You can either dilute it or feed it full-strength.

View attachment 85143
Thank you!! I'll look into this.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Good morning everyone, It's been awhile since I posted. My little Tink (4.5 years old) has crossed over the piggie rainbow bridge last night. It was a very stressful weekend. Had her to the vet on Saturday and she was diagnosed with a URI. Put her on meds but it was too late. She stopped eating and I tried to give her Critical care all weekend but she fought me through it all. I'm a mess today but trying to move through this and make sure the other two girls are ok. I had separated them yesterday morning (took Mama and Pixie out). Probably made no difference but felt I needed to do something. I am taking them to the vet today for a check-up even though they seem fine. How can I disinfect their cage? They are on fleece and C&C. Also, I need to make sure they are getting their vitamin C and Pixie will not take the Oxbow tabs. Any other vitamin C options? Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1j3bof10oolglvt/IMG_1707.MOV?dl=0

One of my remaining two girls (Periwinkle) is making this sound. I've also sent to Vet and am waiting for call back. My girls have made this sound on and off for years. I took Periwinkle in to the Vet once when she made this sound and they said that she was fine. I took a video of Pixie (orange) doing it 6 months ago. When Tink passed I showed them the video of Pixie making the sound and they said it was definitely congestion. Now Periwinkle did it again this morning and hasn't done it since. From your experience is this congestion or another sound they make? I'm freaking out now because I can't go through losing another one. I've been watching them like a hawk. Thank you.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could mean a couple of different things.

One of my boars, Sly, started making that sound when eating a few years ago. Every time he did, a little later I would hear a loud cough, sometimes two, and he would clear it and we wouldn't hear it again for awhile. Sometimes it was louder than others.

That said, "hooting" can also be an indication of a heart issue.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
My Hippo makes that exact noise and he has a heart problem. Is there coughing or wheezy wheeking too?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa -- could be congestion, could be heart-related, but it also could be unidentified. I've got a pig that does it off and on and has been examined six ways from Sunday with no diagnosis. She'll do it for weeks, then not again for another several weeks. I've given up.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa -- could be congestion, could be heart-related, but it also could be unidentified. I've got a pig that does it off and on and has been examined six ways from Sunday with no diagnosis. She'll do it for weeks, then not again for another several weeks. I've given up.

Thank you everyone.

She hasn't made the sound again all day. No coughing is associated with it. We took her to the Vet over a year ago when this happened and they said her heart and lungs sounded fine. It's intermittent and I have heard both of them do it. Just alarming me now after Tink passed from the respiratory issue. There is no coughing associated with it and it usually happens when they are eating. I may not hear it again for months. The Vet put them both on Doxycycline for 2 weeks as a precaution (they looked fine when I brought them in on Monday) and they are acting fine today (eating, drinking, active).

If it continues after the meds I will ask for x-rays and look into potential heart issues. @bpatters, I guess it's a good thing nothing has been found, as long as he/she is healthy otherwise.

Thanks again for the comments. I don't get on here often but when I do everyone is always willing to give advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.