Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad How do I tell if my pig is in pain?

Maya3348

Cavy Slave
Maybe I should be posting this in the medical section, but my pig got his head stuck in a grid. He was only in there for maybe a second, but he could be seriously hurt. I do have the 9x9 grids, but my piggies are babies so their heads are pretty small. He got out and seemed fine... but I'm still worried. after he was out he let out a little whimper which broke my heart. whimpers are never good. Right after he went into his little house, then came out and walked around. He doesn't seem like he's in pain other than that whimper, but should I take him to the vet just in case? Thanks to anyone who replies <3

HollyG

Cavy Slave
Is he moving around alright? If he's eating, drinking, playing around and moving alright I think you should be okay. That whimper could even be from being scared when he got stuck. I think you will know more than anyone can tell you because you can watch him and you know his normal behavior. I could be wrong, but that is what I would do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take him to a vet, but I would watch him carefully in case he shows any signs of pain or injury.

You need to babyproof your cage. You can either overlap grids so the holes are smaller, or you can put cardboard or coroplast to the height of about 10 inchesthe inside of the cage

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
When I got my "babies" (They're 20 months old now and full grown) I used cardboard roughly half the height of the grids. I held it all in place with binder clips top and bottom, on the inside of the grids so that they couldn't get their little paws on the bars to climb. I left them there until they were roughly six or seven months old, big enough that I knew for sure that they couldn't get their heads or their bodies through the bars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.