Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I love you, Sly. Goodbye, little bear.

• Thread starter Guinea Pig Papa
  • Start date

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It is with a broken heart that I have to write of the passing of my little snuggle pig.

Sly was absolutely, 100% Dad's snuggle pig. He had so many nicknames......BumBum, SySy, Little Brown Pig, Christmas Pig, SlyBear, Little Bear Cubbie... The list is endless.

I tried so hard. In the end it just wasn't enough. When we got to the vets this morning, his little heart had already started slowing. He was gasping for every breath and it tore my heart out to see him suffer so badly. He didn't deserve it. No pig does, but Sly was always so sweet, so gentle.

This time, I got to say goodbye. This time, Sly passed in my arms as I told him how much I loved him, and how much I was going to miss him. I told him to say hello to Pooper, and that I would be there one day to get them both and take them home again.

I love you, Sly bear. You mean the world to me, and I'm sorry that my love wasn't enough. I hope you find my love will keep you warm.

Go play with Pooper. Go and meet some new friends. Run, play, eat and have fun in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge.

Goodbye, baby pig. I love you. I miss you already, more than you will every know. Rest in peace

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for your love and support, everyone.

This is all still just very surreal to us. There are still things yet to do. There are medications to be put away. I will be going to my son's today to build him a casket, and burial will likely be tonight. He will rest next to Pooper. We are deciding what to put on his grave marker, and trying to pick a photo for it. And breaking down. A lot of breaking down.

His passing has left a very large hole which can't be filled. My original pair of boys are now gone.

The veterinary hospital, although not his regular vet were very, very kind and thoughtful. The vet made me feel like Sly had always been her patient. After he had passed, they made two little ink pawprints for us with his name in script on them, and then laminated them for permanence. Not something I had thought of, and I felt it was very kind and thoughtful.

I miss him so very, very much.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
When I let my boy go to eternity back in June, I refused to discard the medication he was on. In fact, it's still in my refrigerator, and I probably won't get rid of it for a while.

That ink print is beautiful. Now you'll always have something to remember him, along with the many wonderful memories.
I know exactly what you mean.

I still have Pooper's Aminophylline from 2016. Every time I try to throw it away, I break down and I just can't bring myself to do it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly's casket is done, and I've just finished laying him to rest. At his brothers' side, together again.

This time, I ordered his stone immediately. I already know what its going to say. I just need to find the perfect photo.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't say enough about the company who does these stones. Even on a Sunday, they were in touch by email, and last night I received this in an email :

This is what Sly's gravestone will look like when it is finished.

It will likely arrive in a few weeks as it takes some time to clear Canada Customs, no idea why. And I was given a wonderful idea that hadn't occurred to me, which will now happen this Thursday at 5pm.

My niece is going to tattoo his pawprint and his name on my arm. I will always have a permanent remind of my Dancing Bear.

Thank you, everyone, for your words of comfort, love and support. Even though I will always question what more I could have done I already know that there was nothing more. Your words have been a great help to me, and are helping me get through an immensely difficult time.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss of Sly. I do not log on to the site over the weekend but first thing at work, I always log on and read Sly's medical thread. I am crying now as I am typing this and need to pull myself together before my colleagues arrive. Sly lived a wonderful life with you and you have shown me what dedication for a pet means. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of Sly's live through your posts. A big virtual hug to you during this most difficult time!

Thank you for your condolences, and your kind words. I would give anything to be able to continue his thread, but I swore from the beginning that I would not ever let him suffer. When it became very apparent that he was, and that he had to choose between breathing or eating, I knew it was time to let him go. The vet confirmed this. It is to date the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.

As for dedication? Sly taught ME what dedication for a pet should be. He was a member of my family, as all my pigs are and have been. Losing him was no different for me than losing a child.

Thank you for sharing Sly's life through my posts in his medical thread. Even though you never met him, you shed tears over his loss. I have no doubt that you have what it takes to be an exemplary piggie parent in your own right.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The tattoo I got for Sly is now done. When this one heals fully, I will have a second done for Pooper.

The dogtag necklaces I've ordered to remember my boys have also arrived.

I miss them so very, very much.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Together again. I miss you, boys. I love you.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Happy birthday, little bear.

We love you, and we miss you more than you could ever know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.