Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New pigs not eating hay!?

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
So I just got 2 young female guinea pigs less than 4 days ago, they?re both still really skittish but will stay out now when I?m in the room instead of running to hide like they did and they are eating pellets/veggies fine and drinking good but I have never seen them eat the hay. They will if I put a few pieces on top of their veggies but that?s it. I have the hay in a hay rack made from a grid and also some in a small pile in front of it. The hay is fairly fresh probably not the best but it?s not really yellow either. It does have some tough pieces in it but also soft so I?m not sure why they aren?t at least eating the soft parts. I just don?t want them eating only their veggies with out hay. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need better hay, and a little patience.

Hay that you buy from a pet store is by far the most expensive, per pound, and the worst quality. The cheapest is a bale from a local farmer if there's one near you. Failing that, you can order it online from places like Small Pet Select and others.

But drape something over one end of the cage and put the hay under it so they've got something over their heads. That may make them feel safer and more likely to eat.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
You need better hay, and a little patience.

Hay that you buy from a pet store is by far the most expensive, per pound, and the worst quality. The cheapest is a bale from a local farmer if there's one near you. Failing that, you can order it online from places like Small Pet Select and others.

But drape something over one end of the cage and put the hay under it so they've got something over their heads. That may make them feel safer and more likely to eat.

Thanks! I would buy hay online but the shipping is ridiculous $20+ for both kms and sps which is why I bought it at a store. I draped a piece of fleece over the top and they have been eating it now, I?m glad it was an easy fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have to figure the price per pound to know which is cheaper. You're paying shipping when you buy at the store, it's just that the shipping price has already been factored into the price of the item.

If you buy the largest box of hay from SPS, they'll waive the shipping charges, you'll have enough good hay for months, and the price per pound will be about half what you pay at a pet store or Walmart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.