Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! And help bonding boars.

Piggy_Party

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I am new to the forum and wanted to get advice on what to do with my boys. I have a pair of bonded boars that are about 13 months old (GusGus and Fritz). I have another pair of sibling boars that are 3 months old and currently happy to reside together (Norbert and Charlie). I recently got a single boar that was left outside of a vet clinic where a friend works and I offered to take him in (Reddington.) He is past the quarantine period and has a clean bill of health. He seems to be about 5-6 months old. I am wondering if I should risk trying to introduce him to one of my pairs, or perhaps look for his own friend.

As a sort of secondary question, do you think I could ever bond all 5 into a herd? I know boars are harder to bond in trios and larger groups. I could easily provide at least 10 square feet per piggy, if that makes a difference.

Just looking for opinions for my particular situation and what every thinks might work best. It's sad seeing Reddington on his own, he's such a sweet guy. I think he would get on with GusGus and Fritz, but who can really say. I would hate to break up their bond, though, and want to do what's best for all of the boys.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd definitely look for another pig for your singleton rather than trying to introduce a boar to a bonded pair. Trios of boars almost never work, and you risk breaking up a pair that's been happily living together.

You might eventually get a herd of five or six together since you've got a very large space. But I'd wait until the youngest one(s) are well past puberty before trying it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.