Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Are guinea pigs supposed to chew everything?

Cakegirl554

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pigs hey chew everything. They chew their chew toys which is normal but they chew on their pigloo and I got them a furry hidey which has I guess fur on the outside and they chewed all that off. Now they are chewing on their food bowl. So is his normal and how do I make them stop chewing everything. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Its normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not necessarily normal. I've never had one that chewed anything but the cage bars while I was trying to get their supper fixed.

Don't give them furry things to chew. They have really delicate intestinal tracts, and anything out of the ordinary can cause serious, expensive medical problems.

Do they have hay all the time? What is their other food like? What kind of pellets do you feed, and how many?

Chewing can also be a sign of pain. Are all of them chewing, or just one?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I dunno........it's normal at my house. My boys are obsessed with inedible objects. They will obsessively chew on cardboard, paper, puppy pads, their wooden houses, and even coroplast if they can reach it. Both of them have a habit of occasionally grinding their teeth as well.........and i'm certain that it isn't pain. They will often loudly chew on their wooden houses to show me that they are hungry.

Keep in mind that cavies have little dexterity with their front paws and that the world is explored through the mouth. How does one know that it isn't a tasty morsel unless you sample it?

Cakegirl554

Cavy Slave
It’s both of them. But they are usually popcorning so should I take hem to the vet?

HollyG

Cavy Slave
It seems normal to me. My piggy is pretty good about only chewing on things that she is supposed to chew on (hay, food, chew toys, etc.) but sometimes she will chew on her hidey or the sides of her litter box. I feel like she only does this when she wants attention though because she waits for me to look at her when she does it and she stops after I go over to her cage. Do you mix their cage up often? Every time I change the fleece in my piggy's cage I move things around (her litter box, food bowls, the little bed I made her, etc.) to avoid boredom. Do they get out of their cage much? Could the chewing be due to boredom? If there are certain things they can't chew on that they can get to, obviously I would try to cover them up. The cage my pig is in has high sides so it is hard for her to get to the wire on the sides of the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.