Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Peanutbutter?

Lola Malola

Cavy Slave
I was in a pet shop the other day buying Lola some hay, and couldn't resist peeking at the animals there (yes, i know you all don't like guinea pigs at pet shops, though i must admit it was where i got Lola). We noticed there was some peanut butter on the edge of the guinea pig's food dishes. Then we noticed it was in with the hamsters and things, too. Why would they do that? Is peanut butter good for guinea pigs? Is it some sort of a treat or something? Just wondering...

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Very very bad for piggies. It's too high in protein, fat, sugar and salt. Though hamsters are more tolerant of this type of thing, I wouldn't feed it to mine.

Lola Malola

Cavy Slave
thanks, i didn't think it would be good with all the perservatives and such, but i was just wondering. Thank you very much

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Peanut butter is bad for small animals.

creamsicle

Cavy Slave
the other day i was eating pizza and my guinea pig reached over and ate a green pepper straight off my pizza! it was so funny but i stopped her from eating the rest.this was my expression:eek:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
creamsicle said:
the other day i was eating pizza and my guinea pig reached over and ate a green pepper straight off my pizza! it was so funny but i stopped her from eating the rest.this was my expression:eek:

I have to be careful when my two are having floor time because Bonnie will literally eat any food she finds dropped on the floor. I think her all time best find was a piece of melba toast. She even tried to eat a damp piece of kitchen paper once. Suffice to say I am very careful when she's out!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It's a pet store. Nuff said.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Green peppers are ok to feed your pigs, aren't they?I never have but aren't you just saying that becuase of it being on greasy pizza?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Plain bell peppers of all colors are fine. Peanut butter is often fed as a treat to hamsters even though it's not all that healthy but it's much worse for guinea pigs. If you think about it though it might be healthier than any of those commercial treats the petstores sell. One step up from yogurt drops and similar junk food.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The peppers are fine. It's just that they were cooked and in contact with grease, cheese, and whatever else might have been on the pizza.

creamsicle

Cavy Slave
aqh88, you said, "One step up from yogurt drops and similar junk food."

Is it okay for me to give my piggies yogurt drops?
Yeah it was so funny when she just climbed over my plate and grabbed it! I was so shocked!

I don't know how to use the Quote Button so sorry aqh88, or I would've quoted you. :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is it okay for me to give my piggies yogurt drops?
No, they are made with yogurt which is a dairy product and piggies are lactose intolerant.

No peanut butter for piggies either.

Raw bell peppers of any color should be a daily staple in a piggies diet. They are high in vitamin C. The red ones have the most C in them.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Yogurt drops are the worst. I was saying giving peanut butter is probably slightly better than the yogurt drops and similar treats they sell but still completely unhealthy.

creamsicle

Cavy Slave
Wow! Thanks for your help! I was giving my Guinea Pigs Yogurt Drops, but I won't do that anymore!
I'll try to give them more bell peppers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.