Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is she likely pregnant?

quartzn99

Cavy Slave
I have 1 piggies Poppy my sow and Branch my boar. I think there may have been some accidental "playtime" about 3.5 weeks ago. My 5 year old brother thought they wanted to play together. But I don't know how long they were togethet. I have since noticed Poppy seems to be getting a little plump. I did mess up because I was not weighing them. I started weighing them on the 23rd. Poppy has been gaining 14g each day (657, 671, 685) Branch has not been putting on weight like Poppy his weight has been 797g, 795, 802. How likely is it that I will have babies in mid September?

Thank you fur your assistance.

Quartzn99 20180722_133655.jpg20180722_133716.jpg20180722_134214.jpg20180722_134231.jpg20180722_134059.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

quartzn99

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I keep trying to check her and she does feel like there is something on her sides but I know it's to early to feel much so trying to convince myself it is my imagination. She does seem to go through a bit of water compared to my boar but I don't know that it is a significant difference. She has a good appetite but seems to be slightly less active. And I don't know if it is just her being more comfortable as she gets to know me or if it is due to pregnancy. I think some of it is I am so concerned about her being pregnant that I am reading into it too much.

I believe she is about 6 months old. I got them on May 20th and they had their "playtime" on July 9th. I have since put locks on the cages and have informed him that they really can not be together. I told him it could cause one of them to get sick. I didn't want to tell him she could end up pregnant because I think that might kinda encourage him to put them together. He loves all animals and thinks they all should have babies so the world could be well populated.

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
Keep your eye on her. The first thing I noticed with my guinea pig when she was pregnant was her belly. She was nearly the same weight as my adult and when I first got her I estimated she was maybe 4 months old. But even before that she did get quite the appetite and was ALWAYS eating. Later on in her pregnancy I did notice her getting tired and laying down a lot even while eating/drinking. By then I was able to feel the babies kick. And by kick, I mean kicking and actually move around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quartzn99

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure if I am feeling any movement or if it is gas etc and I'm just over paranoid but it feels line there are maybe 2 or 3 lumps (2 on left side one on right). But I have an appointment Monday for both of them to see the vet for wellness exams and to see if can get confirmation. She isn't overly fond of me feeling her belly or sides so I have only had brief periods with her because I don't want to stress her out if she is. Will be glad when I can get done confirmation. But if I am already feeling babies that would mean she should be further along than 3.5 almost 4 weeks right?

Sorry yes I am new to piggies and that being said this would be my first and hopefully only pregnancy. I'm more used to puppies not piggies when it comes to this like of stuff.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't feel any lumps at 3.5 weeks. And you can't feel any movement at 3.5 weeks. The soonest you'll know anything for sure is closer to six weeks.

You can take them to the vet if you want, but there's really no need. She's either pregnant or she's not. If she is, you'll know soon enough. If she's not, you'll also know. The vet can do an expensive x-ray, but it won't tell anything until the bones are mineralized. An ultrasound would be even more expensive.

The best indicator you'll have is weight gain. You've got two pigs of the same age who should be gaining at roughly the same rate. Weigh them both daily, preferably before breakfast. If she's consistently putting on more weight than he is, that may confirm the pregnancy before any of the other indicators.

quartzn99

Cavy Slave
I was looking at the calender and am now questioning if something happened either right before I got them or the day I got them as I was setting up cages my mom put them in the same cage. Got them May 20th. If that is the case I may be closer than originally thought. But if nothing else it doesn't hurt to have a wellness check done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.