Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Should I add a second level?

MissyWooWoo

Cavy Slave
My two guinea pigs now are living in a Midwest cage, but I am looking for something bigger and convenient for them to play and have their own space when they need it. I was thinking of building a C&C cage with a second level. But my Mom recently came to me with a couple of concerns. She said that it would be harder to clean and manage getting the pigs out. Is this True?

The reason I want a bigger cage is because they often seem boared although I do try my best to keep them active and entertained. The other big reason is my piggie (Peachy) bit her daughter Tanzy and now she has a small wound. I am doing my best to take care of it including getting a bigger cage so they can have some space to themselves.

If you can give me any helpful advice I would appreciate the opinion. Thanks.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello!

That is wonderful you are trying to upgrade them to a bigger cage. You are a good piggy mom :)

A cxc is a great cage to build. For two girls you need a 2x4 cxc (but bigger is better). If you do at least a 2x4 cxc you wouldn't need a second level.

I personally am not of fan of second levels, unless you offset it from the bottom cage it actually will take up running space from the bottom. The ramp will get in the way of straight zoomies. It also become a place for guinea pigs to get trapped or bullied unless you get a 2x2 loft. In my experience a 1x2 is too narrow.

For cleaning, if you do it offset it isn't too difficult. It woudn't be any different then cleaning under a fleece forest. I also didn't have any issues getting my piggies out either.

If you have the resources though, I wouldn't bother with the loft and spend the money making a larger cxc cage. I had a 2x6 cxc with my two girls and that gave them plenty of space to get away from one another.

Until you get a new cage, how is your current one set up? Do you have any pictures? I wonder if the bite resulted from Peachy feeling trapped by Tanzy. Make sure you don't have any hideouts with only one entrance. large tunnels where they can both fit are good. I took two grids, bent them, ziptied together and covered in fleece. Fleece forests are also really good because they break up the line of sights. I also recommend having two hay areas, water bottles and pellet bowls if you don't already.

Also, if your Mom is worried about the midwest going to waste you can always get another and then connect them together. Make sure to take out any ramps or dividers. I prefer a cxc but if that is a concern of your Mom it might be a good compromise.

Last for boredom busters the following are good- large hay piles, toilet paper rolls (cut lengthwise down the middle stuffed with hay/veg), and veggies hidden around the cage.

Unfortunately I cannot find any photos of my loft when I had it. Here is when I had my 2x6 for two girls. Each end of the cage I had a hay area, and all throughout it tunnels and forests spaced out so they never were next to each other.

Also included a photo of two midwest cages combined. They should have taken out the divider/ramp though for uniterruped running space.
Luna and Little Bear.jpg

Attachments

mid.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have to disagree on a couple of points. 1) the ramp interfering with running room - my boys simply run on the other side of the ramp, that is, around it, 2) my boys get more exercise from running up and down the ramp than they ever have running on the main level, 3) the cage is NOT more difficult to clean.....because I have an offset ramp which makes it simple to clean beneath it.

I agree that any loft smaller than a 2x2 is a waste because invariably both my boys will want to go to the loft at once and there simply isn't enough room for both in a smaller loft. Insofar as one of them blocking the ramp, it has never happened. I'll post a couple of pics so you can see the difference. My loft is so sturdy that it didn't need the angled grid as a support

Crowded Loft.jpg Loft3.jpg Offset loft design.jpg

MissyWooWoo

Cavy Slave
Thank you both so much for your time, advice and photos! Your guinea pigs are very lucky!

im not sure I’m going to add a second level anymore. It all depends if I’m getting the third guinea pig that I want. I saw Tanzys old sister (Rosie) for sale for the fourth time this year and it breaks my heart. She has been living alone her whole life but she has a 3 story cage. The cage is 30 length, 12 width and 32 height in inches.

The space we have is very limited and unfortunately can’t be able to fit two Midwest cages in any way. The biggest we can go is a 3x4 C&C cage. Would a 3x4 C&C cage be big enough for three guinea pigs?

As for your idea of Peachy feeling trapped by Tanzy, I do agree with you. We have two igloos and food dishes, but not water bottles and hay areas but we will add that in the new cage along with all the fun toys and tunnels we have including a fleece forest.

I will send you some photos of the cages soon. I think I will have to do tat on the computer because I don’t know about the iPad.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 3x4 is plenty large enough for three pigs. Just don't crowd it with a lot of cage furniture.

Be sure to cut another hole in the igloos, or replace them with something with two doors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.