Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Success story!!!

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
To start off: sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I am beyond excited and it *is* food related at least!

So I rescued Peggy 6 months ago from a bad living situation. She is 2 years old and never had veggies, rarely had hay, and was by herself. But she is living her best life right now with her unlimited hay! Peggy has 3 loves: hay, pellets, and water (since she doesn't eat veggies, she drinks a lot more water).

So when I got her I slowly tried to incorporate veggies to her diet. NOTHING. When you try to give her veggies, she won't even acknowledge it is there. I've tried everything, even fruit...until 3 nights ago when I tried something else. I picked some blueberries and thought I'd try to give her one and to my surprise, she ate it! I was so excited that I maybe tried to jump the gun a bit and last night I smashed up a blueberry and put it on a piece of green leaf lettuce and she ate the blueberry skin and then didn't acknowledge the lettuce leaf, kind of what I expected.

Tonight I was feeding the pigs (she is with 2 other girls) and after I put their last piece of veggie in the cage (lettuce) I went to wash my face. I came back out and PEGGY WAS CHOWING DOWN ON A PIECE OF LETTUCE!!! I seriously teared up a little bit and then Facetimed my mom and she still didn't believe me! I turned around for a second and when I looked back SHE WAS EATING A LEFT OVER PIECE OF CUCUMBER!

I don't what caused this but I am a very happy pig mama right now! I have tried to give her at least 15 different kinds of veggies and she never cared about any of it! Now, I kind of want her to slow down so her poor tummy can catch up to her appetite, but I had truthfully given up all hope that she would ever eat any kind of veggie.

I'm so excited, EEEKKKK!!! Guess I better start buying more veggies lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Go very slowly in introducing new foods. Do one a day, and stick it with it for several days before you add another. Too much new fresh food at one time cause cause severe digestive upsets.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Go very slowly in introducing new foods. Do one a day, and stick it with it for several days before you add another. Too much new fresh food at one time cause cause severe digestive upsets.

Will do, thank you! I stopped her from eating anything else cause I don't want her to get an upset stomach and then never eat veggies again. But we are making strides in the right direction!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.