Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ivermectin dosage for mites?

guineapiglova88

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Oreo was diagnosed with mange mites when we took him to the vet. He had a bald spot in a V shape on his back. Our vet doesn't specialize in guinea pigs, but he can and does check them out. He gave Oreo two doses of Revolution and a bottle of lime sulfur dip. It seems the revolution worked some but not completely and the sulfur dips didn't seem to do much of anything but dry his skin. I looked it up and it seems that lime sulfur dips aren't used for mites? I haven't given him a bath in a while since they don't work but the mites are getting a little worse. I heard Ivermectin is supposed to work and that you can get it at Tractor Supply? If I can find it, what is the dosage? I also have another guinea pig in a different cage right next to him. Should I treat her too? She doesn't have any signs of having mites but I've heard you should treat any other guinea pigs that are near the effected one and that they could be a carrier? And is it a topical or a shot?
Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How long has it been since he had the Revolution doses? You'll have to wait a while before you can give the ivermectin.

Also, it takes a few days for any med to work on mites, and when you first start giving it, the itching may be worse. When did Oreo have the first dose?

You may or may not be able to get the easy-to-use ivermectin from Tractor Supply, but it you can order it from Amazon or Valley Vet Supply. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice for more info.

guineapiglova88

Cavy Slave
He got his first dose in April or May. The second dose a couple weeks later. So its been 2-3 months since he had it. Is that long enough to give the ivermectin?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, that's plenty long enough.

The easiest kind to give is the pour-on or the injectable, which you don't give by injection, but as a pour-on as well. Don't get that horse paste that has to be so massively diluted -- it's just too easy to overdose a pig with it.

guineapiglova88

Cavy Slave
We went to Tractor Supply and eventually found the pour-on for cattle. Is that the right one? We got it and now I just need to know the dosage and how to put it on if its the right one....
Its the blue liquid right? And how should I store it?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It really isn't rocket science......although some folks make it seem that way. Dosing is actually pretty simple. Depending on the age of the cavy, 1-2 drops behind each ear. If your cavy is very young, just one drop........if he is about a year or older, then put 2 drops (literally 2 drops, not a flood) behind each ear on the bald spot, and then fold the ear back and rub it in. Dose in this fashion 1x/week for three weeks. Take a break to see how/if it's producing results, and then evaluate whether or not he needs another course of treatment.

Don't be tempted to get the horse paste even though it costs about $7 per tube! As @bpatters says, it has to be SO diluted that it's almost impossible to get the dosage right and it is too easy to overdose. I have a friend who breeds championship cavies and she uses it all the time without any adverse effects. But, even though I'm a healthcare professional, I simply won't risk it.

I never refrigerated my Ivermectin, but I don't know what is recommended.

guineapiglova88

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks! I'll try that tonight! Do I need to treat my other guinea pig too?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, I'd want the know the strength of the ivermectin youu bought before I'd dose my pig with it. It comes in different strengths, and even a tiny bit of the stronger stuff might be too much.

It should have something on the label that says milligrams or grams per milliliter, or a percentage solution. Let us know what that is.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If the bottle says 5mg per mL, you should be o.k. following my directions.

guineapiglova88

Cavy Slave
Yes it says 5 mg per mL. I put the drops behind his ears last night. He was kind of squirmy though so I hope I got enough/not to much on the first ear. For the second ear I held him differently and I know I saw two drops exactly come out.

Naya1114

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering, does anyone know if ivermectin will work on ear mites?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It should. If you're sure it's only ear mites, you can get ear drops for that. If the pig has mites elsewhere, you need to get the pour-on kind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.