Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ivermectin dosage for mites?

My guinea pig Oreo was diagnosed with mange mites when we took him to the vet. He had a bald spot in a V shape on his back. Our vet doesn't specialize in guinea pigs, but he can and does check them out. He gave Oreo two doses of Revolution and a bottle of lime sulfur dip. It seems the revolution worked some but not completely and the sulfur dips didn't seem to do much of anything but dry his skin. I looked it up and it seems that lime sulfur dips aren't used for mites? I haven't given him a bath in a while since they don't work but the mites are getting a little worse. I heard Ivermectin is supposed to work and that you can get it at Tractor Supply? If I can find it, what is the dosage? I also have another guinea pig in a different cage right next to him. Should I treat her too? She doesn't have any signs of having mites but I've heard you should treat any other guinea pigs that are near the effected one and that they could be a carrier? And is it a topical or a shot?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,970 Rec'd/5,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    1968 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3595 Post(s)

Re: Ivermectin dosage for mites?

How long has it been since he had the Revolution doses? You'll have to wait a while before you can give the ivermectin.

Also, it takes a few days for any med to work on mites, and when you first start giving it, the itching may be worse. When did Oreo have the first dose?

You may or may not be able to get the easy-to-use ivermectin from Tractor Supply, but it you can order it from Amazon or Valley Vet Supply. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...mites-and-lice for more info.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He got his first dose in April or May. The second dose a couple weeks later. So its been 2-3 months since he had it. Is that long enough to give the ivermectin?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,970 Rec'd/5,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    1968 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3595 Post(s)

Yes, that's plenty long enough.

The easiest kind to give is the pour-on or the injectable, which you don't give by injection, but as a pour-on as well. Don't get that horse paste that has to be so massively diluted -- it's just too easy to overdose a pig with it.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We went to Tractor Supply and eventually found the pour-on for cattle. Is that the right one? We got it and now I just need to know the dosage and how to put it on if its the right one....
    Its the blue liquid right? And how should I store it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,452 Rec'd/1,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1074 Post(s)

It really isn't rocket science......although some folks make it seem that way. Dosing is actually pretty simple. Depending on the age of the cavy, 1-2 drops behind each ear. If your cavy is very young, just one drop........if he is about a year or older, then put 2 drops (literally 2 drops, not a flood) behind each ear on the bald spot, and then fold the ear back and rub it in. Dose in this fashion 1x/week for three weeks. Take a break to see how/if it's producing results, and then evaluate whether or not he needs another course of treatment.

Don't be tempted to get the horse paste even though it costs about $7 per tube! As @bpatters says, it has to be SO diluted that it's almost impossible to get the dosage right and it is too easy to overdose. I have a friend who breeds championship cavies and she uses it all the time without any adverse effects. But, even though I'm a healthcare professional, I simply won't risk it.

I never refrigerated my Ivermectin, but I don't know what is recommended.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok thanks! I'll try that tonight! Do I need to treat my other guinea pig too?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,970 Rec'd/5,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    1968 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3595 Post(s)

Actually, I'd want the know the strength of the ivermectin youu bought before I'd dose my pig with it. It comes in different strengths, and even a tiny bit of the stronger stuff might be too much.

It should have something on the label that says milligrams or grams per milliliter, or a percentage solution. Let us know what that is.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,452 Rec'd/1,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1074 Post(s)

If the bottle says 5mg per mL, you should be o.k. following my directions.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes it says 5 mg per mL. I put the drops behind his ears last night. He was kind of squirmy though so I hope I got enough/not to much on the first ear. For the second ear I held him differently and I know I saw two drops exactly come out.

User Tag List