Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Formerly abused guinea pig bites

Hi everybody! I rescued a very handsome American boar named Rascal in December. The girl I rescued him from was planning on releasing him outside... in the winter... in New York... in a FOOT of SNOW! I cringe at the thought. Obviously as a pig lover, I took him. I realized he had some behavioral issues (and his nails were nearly 3/4 of an inch long, twisted over eachother, and broke when he walked, also his grease gland was completely gunked up. She had never cut his nails or cleaned him once). He bites not only his cage bars (24/7), but also anyone who has their exposed skin near his mouth. He has drawn blood on multiple occasions. He is a very good boy, however, and will sit contentedly on my lap during a massage. I asked the girl I got him from if her younger siblings had ever harmed him because his behavior was strange, and she told me that she found out about him from a Facebook add by a woman who's young children threw him and pulled at him... it's so sad. Anyway, I was wondering of he'd understand/respond to gentle scolding? Should I get pet-friendly, nasty flavored spray to put on my hands? Maybe he has pain from being mishandled as a baby? Btw, he is a couple months over a year old at this point. She doesn't know his exact age and told me she received him as a limping baby. He no longer limps.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Formerly abused guinea pig bites

Does he itch alot? When they are doing a behavior you dont want them to pull your hands away and ignore him for a few minutes then try again it?ll let him know its not ok but dont quote me on that because its just what ive heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,970 Rec'd/5,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    1967 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3595 Post(s)

I'd consider treating him for mites. They make a pig mighty cranky, and may be the reason for his biting.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't noticed him itching more than normal but I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on him for signs I haven't noticed. Thank you for your reply!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will try that and update on whatever happens.

User Tag List