Thread: Guinea pig freaking out at night.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Guinea pig freaking out at night.

Sup folks... I need a bit help here.. one of our guinea pigs is freaking out at night from time to time..
    We have 8 female guinea pigs.. .the one that goes crazy is the "beta" one ... during daytime everything is ok but from time to time when night comes she freak out and start to bully the younger ones (sometimes another one joins her) ... she's 1yo and the bullying is always against our newest ones (that are 2-5months old)... on some nights we even have to give them some natural sedative herbs so she can calm down or even put her inside a cat transport box for the night (with food, water, soft fabrics, hay...) in order to keep the others at peace by night...

We already tried to change some things at their space... in order to make it look bigger/open ... we tried vanilla essence to make everyone smell the same... but nothing helps... and she's the only one acting this way... the others are fine.. even our Alpha is fine about changes and the new girls (that aren't so new anymore) ...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig freaking out at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Sup folks... I need a bit help here.. one of our guinea pigs is freaking out at night from time to time..
    We have 8 female guinea pigs.. .the one that goes crazy is the "beta" one ... during daytime everything is ok but from time to time when night comes she freak out and start to bully the younger ones (sometimes another one joins her) ... she's 1yo and the bullying is always against our newest ones (that are 2-5months old)... on some nights we even have to give them some natural sedative herbs so she can calm down or even put her inside a cat transport box for the night (with food, water, soft fabrics, hay...) in order to keep the others at peace by night...

We already tried to change some things at their space... in order to make it look bigger/open ... we tried vanilla essence to make everyone smell the same... but nothing helps... and she's the only one acting this way... the others are fine.. even our Alpha is fine about changes and the new girls (that aren't so new anymore) ...
    Hello a bit more information would be useful. How long have you had them, how were they introduced? Can you explain or post pictures of their cage set up? If you have any hideouts with only one entrance (like a pigloo) they need to be modified with two entrances or changed. Some good hideys are tunnels and fleece forests.

Also how many hay areas, food bowls and water bottles do you have? My three were getting upset with each other so I have two big hay areas, one at each end of the cage, along with two water bottles and three food dishes.

Also describe the "bullying" behavior. Is blood being drawn, other guinea pigs kept from food? If not, I would stop separating her from the herd at night, that just sounds stressful to her and the others.

Sorry you are dealing with this, hopefully we can help you with a solution.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

She only acts all aggressive towards another one that lives with her for almost 1 year.

We have 6 hay dispensers,
    3 water sources,
    6 food dishes..
    And until earlier we had 10 hideouts..
    Now we moved things this way it is now,

They?ve been introduced the right way with quarantine period and neutral places with food..

There?s no blood drawing yet.. towards the others she just run behind them and sometimes fur is taken..

But towards one on specific she?s a bit different.. more aggressive, change to a ?bite/fighting? stand.. ready for attack or bite someone who gets near.. my GF even fears to pick her up when she?s that way..

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,226 Rec'd/5,756 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

That cage isn't large enough for eight guinea pigs. You need about 25 square feet for eight pigs.

Also, if you spread the hay feeders around the cage instead of in just one area, you'll cut down on the potential for squabbling.

I'd get rid of all the hideys that only have one door, or cut another door in them.

And I've have the aggressive one checked for ovarian cysts.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

This is my personal preference but I like to just have large hay piles as opposed to feeders. It might be a bit wasteful but my guinea pigs love laying in their hay while munching on it. This has helped with initial squabbles since they aren't fighting over a small area.

When you move around the food, then you can space out the hideouts a bit more. This way they don't have to be right next to each other. Here is my cage so you can get an idea of what I am saying. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big hideouts.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	84996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big spacing.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	84997

My fingers are crossed your female doesn't have ovarian cysts.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Guinea pig freaking out at night.

Thx!! We just noticed that her belly was a bit hard and that her poo was a bit smaller than usual and a bit pointed .. we gave her mineral oil and medicine for gases .. maybe she was irritated because of smth wrong with her intestines..

Our space changed a lot thru the time.. todays one is the most peaceful layout.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

User Tag List