Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Hurt Leg

My youngest guinea pig seemed to have hurt his front leg. I tried looking at it and it doesn't look swollen or have any scratches, but he keeps holding it when he walks. I'm pretty sure my oldest guinea pig did it to him (they are only a month apart but my youngest is the runt of the group). He is still eating fine, but I'm concerned still. Is there anything I could do to help him? (Also my eldest guinea pig hasn't hurt anyone else and doesn't seem aggressive so it may not have been him.)

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,140 Rec'd/5,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3711 Post(s)

Re: Hurt Leg

Is it painful if you gently manipulate it? Are you sure nothing is broken?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Is it painful if you gently manipulate it? Are you sure nothing is broken?
    Well when I looked at it he just squirmed a little since he doesn't like being held but he didn't make any noise. It didn't look swollen and i saw no cuts, but he just keeps holding it when he walks. Sometimes during play time whenever the other pigs get close to him though he squeals though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,140 Rec'd/5,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3711 Post(s)

I'd keep him confined in a small area until it gets better. Don't separate him from the other pigs, but section off one end of the cage for a few days. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse in the meantime, then take him in for an x-ray.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'd keep him confined in a small area until it gets better. Don't separate him from the other pigs, but section off one end of the cage for a few days. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse in the meantime, then take him in for an x-ray.
    Thank you so much! I'm only 17 and my parents don't really want to take him to a vet because they are scared of costs, so I've been trying to do everything I can. Is there any over the countertop medicine that he could take that might help? I just got joint supplements from the oxford brand, but I'm not sure how well those well help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,140 Rec'd/5,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3711 Post(s)

I wouldn't spend money on joint supplements since you don't know whether the problem is in a joint, or a bone injury, or a muscle sprain, or something wrong with his foot.

Here's some info on pain medications, but I wouldn't use them unless it's necessary. Most of the ones you can get over the counter could upset the stomach, and guinea pig stomachs are very easily upset.

User Tag List