Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Feeding syringes - need long term suggestions

miniver

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for recommendations for feeding syringes - where to buy, how to make them last, preferred brands and sizes. Note: I'm in Canada.

I have a four year-old sow that has chronic tummy problems. I've taken her to a vet I trust and it just seems to be an age thing. She's always had a sensitive stomach but as she gets older it's become an on-going issue. After some trial and error with and without veggies I've settled on a routine that has things more or less under control.

I've been giving her about 10ml of critical care in the morning and evening and it's done wonders. I expect I will need to keep feeding her once or twice a day for the rest of her life, which I hope will be a long one. (No regrets. I consider it "quality time" with my fur baby.)

The problem is the syringes don't last. I'm lucky if they last a week. I know they are disposable but they are hard to find and this is gong to cost me more than the critical care. Also, she won't eat off a spoon or out of a bowl.

Any suggestions for a long term / bulk supply would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you checked Shoppers Drug Mart's prices? I've also checked eBay and Amazon, I've seen 10 packs for as little as $2.50

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why don't the syringes last? What happens to them?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
What size syringes do you use?

I always get 35ml feeding ones. The cheapest I found them in store is for $3.95 each at Ren's Pet Depot. I did buy a box once online from ebay though and still have a couple of them left over. They were standard 35ml monoject ones. I think when I got them it was 20 in a box for about $30. Here's a link to very similar ones: (broken link removed)

Unfortunately, all of mine seem to last about a week before they get stiff and difficult to push. I don't think there is much to do to really get around that. At different points when I had Margaret and Gretchen they were getting hand fed multiple times a day for months in a row. Syringes were just another expense I factored into their care.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been using these for awhile. I've only had two and they've lasted quite well, but not really extended use. That said, I've had them both since Pooper was with us and they still work. Monoject makes VERY good syringes.

(broken link removed)

That's $21 dollars for a 12 pack.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I tried Shoppers, Rexal and Pet Smart. They've all changed the syringe to a very narrow tip. They don't look like they would easily pass critical care. Thanks for the amazon recommendation. I was wondering about that brands' quality.

The main problem I have is with the rubber tip swelling and getting stuck in the tube. I've tried a bit of olive oil but it only helps them last a little longer.

Ren's is where I'm getting them now. I just got two (one 35ml and one 60 ml) for less than ten bucks with tax. I have a 5ml I use sometimes as well. I'd like to save a little more money if I can. If they last a week that's still twenty bucks a month. Still, it's the least expensive issue I've had with my guinea pigs. :)

Thankfully, my big girl is very calm. She just sits there looking bored until I fixed any issue I'm having. I keep telling her I'm sorry her meal is taking so long and it will be on-the-house.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also usually get syringes free from pharmacies if you tell them it's to feed a sick pet.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I had to feed Critical Care to Chester for the last six months of his life. I found that the 30ml. syringes worked the best because you can mix the CC and actually pour it into the syringe before it thickens too much and yet still be able to push it out. It took some trial-and-error to be able to mix it just right, but eventually it was no problem. For variety, I would mix a little baby food with the CC. Beachnut makes an organic line with lots of interesting flavors.......cavy preferred.

I used the small pet feeding syringes that I found at both Petco and Petsmart. They are made for repeat use whereas medical syringes are for single use. Mine lasted for weeks. If you want any 3ml or 10ml medical syringes, I have lots of those and would be happy to send them to you. The 10ml are luer-lock, but the 3ml are just straight shaft.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I've gotten the smaller 1 ml syringes from my pharmacist. Unfortunately, they only have up to 5 ml around here and I prefer something larger. I have two from the vet but I don't expect them to keep giving them to me for free.

I have problems cleaning the luer-lock type. Too much gunk builds up in the tip and I get tired of cleaning them out from a lot of use. I agree that the pet syringes seem to hold up the best.

I never thought of baby food. That's good to keep in mind if I can't get the apple-banana flavour critical care she likes. I could use plain with baby food.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I found a really good suggestion on a rabbit site. Teflon (plumbers) tape!

It's about a buck for a roll. I do two wraps around the rubber stopper and it slides like new. I've been using the same syringe for a week and it still works like new. The plunger glides without catching and I can easily use it with one hand. Every day or two I replace the tape. This is going to save me a lot of money.

I got a 35ml and 50ml ml from Ren's. I prefer the 35ml because it fits in my hand better.
I also ordered a 12 pack of monoject from Amazon. I'll cut off the bend and they will work fine as well.
I also found BD disposal syringes available in Canada from Cole-Parmer. They have a good selections of sizes for a good price.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Never would of thought of that! I'll have to pick up a roll for the next time I need to syringe feed. Thankfully everyone is in good health right now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.