Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What to Use Under Fleece Layer? (Lots of Questions!)

HollyG

Cavy Slave
Please remove if this has already been asked/answered but I couldn't find concrete answers when searching the forum.

I'm new to fleece bedding but very hopeful about starting it sometime soon (I'm currently using Aspen bedding). I have bought the fleece and am in the process of making sure liquid goes through it but I'm not quite sure what to put underneath it. I have seen/heard a lot about UHaul pads but unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a UHaul and shipping is just to expensive to consider that an option.

I'm looking for something more of a fabric rather than newspaper or something similar. I put pee pads underneath the Aspen shavings now but I was hoping for a more economical option. I've read that some of you use towels underneath - would terry cloth work just as well? It seems like that would get soaked quickly and may stink and/or remain wet.

The bottom layer does need to be absorbent from my understanding. So something like a tarp wouldn't work, is this right? What about neoprene or some other type of fabric/ready made item like the UHaul pads?

Also, do you sew the absorbent piece to the fleece or do you just layer them and wash them separately?

I'm also considering wood pellets to use in the future underneath but if I did that would I also need to have something between the fleece and pellets? I have just one pig right now and she has a litter box that she uses when she feels like it.

Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll answer for the pellets. You don't need anything between the fleece and the pellets. The pellets are the absorbent layer.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I personally use fleece liners sewed together with 2 layers of uhaul. Double check the price of uhaul from the website. Shipping only a couple liners should only be in the $10-$15 range. Not unreasonable for bedding you are going to use for years!

Uhaul stands up to washing better if fully encased in fleece. I have liners that are 4 years old that are still in use.

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
I haven't seen absorbent mattress pads mentioned as a possible absorbent layer. They usually have a wicking top, absorbent layer, and a barrier layer and they are washable. Seems like that would be the ideal layer under fleece to me. Two mattress pads and two fleece sheets means you always have a set to have down while the other is in the wash. You can get a bed-sized mattress pad under $20. Has anybody tried mattress pads?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I only use matress pads as a safety layer under my liners. My liners consist of fleece/2 uhaul pads/fleece. I find that after 4-5 days, my liners and bed pads are soaked through. I only have 2 piggies in a 3x4 cage!

Anianna

Cavy Gazer
The Uhaul furniture pads are the absorbent layer? I have some, but I didn't know they were absorbent. We're talking the ratty looking grey things that look like a mishmash of fibers, right?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Yes! They are probably one of the most popular and effective absorbent layers. I don't really like towels as they don't last long (completely damp in 2 days) and take forever to dry. Pee pads are great but I personally like the uhaul furniture pads more :^)

Dawnn

Cavy Slave
I just started using fleece liners made by guineadad. The absorbant layer is made from natural bamboo fibers. They are a bit expensive, but honestly to purchase the materials to make them myself wouldn't save all that much money and they would probably take me forever to sew.

They absorb so well that the fleece layer is never even damp. I do have to change them out every couple of days because they get a little smelly, but it only takes a few minutes.

Does anyone else use these? I'm interested in knowing if there are any tips to keep the odor to a minimum .

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use the washable waterproof bed pads under a single layer of fleece. I don’t sew them together. The pads and fleece are easier to wash and dry when they’re separate.

I do sew smaller pieces of fleece together with lightweight terry cloth or microfiber towels and make pads which are about the size of a placemat. These I put in the corners which usually become bathrooms. They’re easy to change out and wash and the cage stays clean longer.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I have four 2x4 and two 1x2 GuineaDad fleece liners and love them. I don't sew and had been planning to layer fleece and Uhaul pads until I came across the GuineaDads. They are more professionally sewn than some of the items I've purchased on Etsy. I change out my GuineaDad liners weekly.

My sister sewed several 1x2 pads (fleece, two microfiber towels, fleece) for me that I put at one end of the cage where I like to put the cuddle cups and the piggies now like to poop in one of the corners. They also like to poop in a 2nd corner way at the other end of the cage, which my sister said she would make smaller pee pads for. But Sis has been so busy that I am not sure when she will get around to it. In the meantime, I purchased many small pee pads through Etsy to put into the corners. I tried dish drying mats for the corners also but they are large and the piggies just pee in one corner of the mat. I also put folded up microfiber towels inside the cuddle cups and switch those out every 1-2 days. It keeps the cuddle cups clean for an entire week. These small pee pads and towels are switched out frequently and help with odor control until my weekly cleaning. Every week I do 2-3 loads of piggy laundry and in the winter, it is hard to find room to air dry them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.