Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Wood shavings or paper bedding!!!????

GuineaPig55

Cavy Gazer
I have one happy boar and he lives alone, yet I spend a lot of time with him, so he?s happy. don?t tell me I need another guinea pig, I?m NOT getting another! Anyways, so I?m wondering since I change bedding every week or so to keep using KayTee clean and cozy, which only lasts me about three weeks, or follow what everyone else is recommending and go with aspen wood shavings! Also if you don?t mind answering, I get the KayTee clean and cozy Lavender scent. My PetSmart is a great Petsmart and doesn?t lie. They say it?s fine, and some websites do, but some say Don?t use! What should I do? I don?t know, and our money is getting tight now, so I need cheap options!

piggymommyy

Cavy Slave
What I do for my guinea pigs is have a layer of paper bedding with wood shavings underneath it. I change the paper once a week and the wood shavings plus the paper every two weeks. For your pig, it probably depends on how much of a mess he makes (and how much absorbency your boar needs in his bedding). The KayTee might be nicer for him to have under his feet, though. Using paper by itself will probably make more of a mess, and it doesn't smell great when it needs changing.

That being said, if you only want to pick one type of bedding over the other, you might want to try mostly aspen shavings with some KayTee mixed in for the comfort of your boar. (I think aspen is cheaper than the paper type of bedding, too.) What you also might want to consider is how long the aspen shavings will last compared to the KayTee. For example, if one bedding type is only slightly more expensive, but lasts for a lot longer, that might be a better choice than a cheaper one that lasts for a shorter period of time.

I hope this helped!

GuineaPig55

Cavy Gazer
What I do for my guinea pigs is have a layer of paper bedding with wood shavings underneath it. I change the paper once a week and the wood shavings plus the paper every two weeks. For your pig, it probably depends on how much of a mess he makes (and how much absorbency your boar needs in his bedding). The KayTee might be nicer for him to have under his feet, though. Using paper by itself will probably make more of a mess, and it doesn't smell great when it needs changing.

That being said, if you only want to pick one type of bedding over the other, you might want to try mostly aspen shavings with some KayTee mixed in for the comfort of your boar. (I think aspen is cheaper than the paper type of bedding, too.) What you also might want to consider is how long the aspen shavings will last compared to the KayTee. For example, if one bedding type is only slightly more expensive, but lasts for a lot longer, that might be a better choice than a cheaper one that lasts for a shorter period of time.

I hope this helped!

i can’t spend too much on bedding and KayTee is so expensive for this tiny amount but I’m scared if I get aspen shavings he will get bumble foot

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
If you keep the aspen clean, he won't get bumblefoot.

piggymommyy

Cavy Slave

Wheeking Pigs

Cavy Gazer
I would use fleece. If you go and get discounted fleece at a craft store, you can shake the soil off and wash it in your washing machine or outside in a bucket. Don't use Ceader or Pine bedding no matter what Petsmart tells you. Also, don't use scented bedding; it might smell good to you, but your piggie will have a respatory infection in no time. Then you'll have to bring him to the vet or it's just abuse to your pig. I wouldn't trust any Petstore any day, and would check lots of websites to see what is best for your Guinea Pig. Just saying, when you can, get another Guinea Pig. I know that you cannot afford it now, but please do a huge favor to your piggie if you can. Please visit https://www.guineapigmanual.com/guinea-pig-bedding/

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Definitely get fleece! Ive tried both and the fleece was so much easier to clean. I would recommend the guineadad fleece liner and get two of them

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
You can find it on amazon and it may seem expensive at first but is definitely worth it in the long run

HollyG

Cavy Slave
In my experience, my pig has liked the paper shavings better but the paper also stinks more when peed on. If you do try the wood shavings just be careful that they aren't too big of shavings, if that makes sense. I switched brands with my Aspen bedding because I found a cheaper package with more in it from Tractor Supply Co. but it was bigger chunks and seemed to be harder on my pigs' feet and much less comfortable. If you want to use Aspen (I think it is cheaper so I don't blame you) maybe mix it with the paper; that is what I did before I switched to wood pellets and fleece. I also used puppy pads under the shavings/paper as well. Another tip is to put extra Aspen in the corners and areas where your pig urinates the most. For me (I also only have one pig) this helped extend the time between cleanings. Also, it was easier to spot clean and replace the heavily soiled areas and that extended time as well.
As for lavendar, I am by far no expert on guinea pigs but in my experience my pig seemed turned off by scented shavings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.