Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New guinea pig bullying my older pig

My boy, Kikwi is older, perhaps 4ish, and I had to put his brother to sleep back in April. He has seemed lonely since then so I opted to adopt. I had a successful introduction to two rescue pigs, both males, on Saturday. They've been together in a 2x5 c&c with an upper level since then. About 2 days later, the youngest, Twili, started chasing Kikwi, nipping his back end, teeth chattering, etc. There's been no bloodshed. Prior to that, Kikwi had spent some time showing dominance by humping the other two. Now Kikwi is terrified of him and hides most of the day. He sometimes won't even greet me for greens because he's busy avoiding the little one. Twili is about 1 year of age so I know he's in that bratty stage and I also know they have to work it out themselves, but of course I'm worried about Kikwi and I want to help them along. I gave everyone a bath last night to neutralize scents, there are multiples of water bottles, food bowls, hay troughs, and hides around the cage. They seem to have quieted down a bit today. Is there anything else you guys would suggest to help them along? There are no issues with the other pig, Poe, who is 3 years of age.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,139 Rec'd/5,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3710 Post(s)

Re: New guinea pig bullying my older pig

You're trying a situation that's almost impossible to win. A trio of boars is the hardest pairing to make, and we never recommend that anyone try it.

I'd get another and split them into two pairs, but if you want to try the trio, make sure you break up the lines of sight in the cage by hanging strips of fleece in strategic places, cut another hole in any hidey that only has one (or throw it out altogether, make sure they've got plenty of open space to run in (take out cage furniture if needed), and if possible, enlarge the cage.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New guinea pig bullying my older pig

I suppose I was so concerned with Kikwi getting on in years and potentially leaving behind another cage mate that I didn't realize it would be such an issue. I'll try the things you suggested and worst case, I have enough room and a spare cage so I can split them and get a friend for whoever ends up single. Ty!

User Tag List