Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Breathing weird

Luna Lossehelin

Cavy Slave
Aster, my youngest guinea pig, started breathing weirdly a few days ago. His breathing isn't popping when he takes in a breath but his whole stomach is kind of convulsing every time he breathes. He's still eating (veggies, pellets, and hay) and drinking water. He's also still pooping but his poops are oldly skinny and small. He used to be my most active guinea and now he just lays in the sun all day. I noticed yesterday that he tried to avoid at all cost getting on his hind legs to eat the pellets (which tells me that his stomach must hurt because he doesn't want to stretch it out). Mika, another one of my guineas, had similiar symptoms around that same age and I took him to a vet. The vet said Mika was perfectly healthy and only to worry if he stops eating. That's the only reason I haven't taken Aster yet. He's still eating so it must just be a cold or something. My question is does anyone know what is wrong with him? Is it his lungs or stomach? Also are there any natural remedies to help him?

MM78528

Cavy Slave
I’m sorry, I don’t really know what it could be. Did you take your other guinea pig to an experienced exotics vet? If not, then the information you got might of been wrong. I think he should go to a vet (a different and more experienced exotics vet), he sounds sick, but you’re the one living with him and we can’t really tell over the Internet. I’m sorry I don’t have a better solution, I hope he gets better soon!

MM78528

Cavy Slave
He could be bloated, which mean he would need to go to the vet...

is his stomach swollen and does it some hollow if you tap on it?

This website may be helpful:
(broken link removed)

Luna Lossehelin

Cavy Slave
He's not bloated. It seems like the opposite actually. I've noticed today that although he's still eating it's not much. He has been drinking a lot of water though.

Meaut

Cavy Slave
I'd advice you to take him to a good exotics vet asap. If he's not eating normally something is wrong and it could get worse fast.

My piggie had some genetic issues with his lungs and airways - he did the same convulsing thing with his stomach for every breath and sounded like he was snoring from time to time. After some vet visits and switching the bedding and hay out to reduce dust he got a lot better. There are natural remedies to help your piggie, but you have to know exactly what's wrong first and even then it's hard to find something that works well. Your best option is an experienced vet. Good luck!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Lots of stomach movements is a good indicator that your guinea pig is breathing heavy and hard.

I would definitely suggest a veterinarian visit. This could a be URI and a course of antibiotics could cure it. Him not wanting to stretch out could just be an overall indicator that he isn't feeling well.

Luna Lossehelin

Cavy Slave
Update: the room I stay in has big windows that I always leave open. My mom suggested I try closing them and closing the shades to try to bring down the temperature in my room. It seemed to have worked! Aster has his energy back; he's been running and eating more. His breathing has almost gone back to completely normal. I'm pretty sure he was over heating and was dehydrated. He'll be back to his old self soon after a couple days of cooler temperatures and water; I'm sure of it! Thanks for everyone's advice ✌️

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have to be careful with guinea pigs and heat, and be sure the cage is never in the direct sun. They can die of heat stroke if the temperature is in the middle eighties.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.