Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss is it mites?

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
So a few days ago it seemed like Pumpkin's hair was alittle thinner and he had some scabs on his bum. I also found some hair attached to skin while cleaning there cage. I look today and now the hair loss is noticeable, also on his sides and his skin is red. Does he have mites? And if so how do I go about treating them since there are different types. We dont have very much money at the moment but I found Mite treatment sprays on Amazom for $7 and under.

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
Heres a Picture

Attachments

20180625_014208.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't spray anything for mites. My recommendation is not to use sprays at all on any animal that grooms itself unless there's some situation that absolutely requires it.

My guess is that that's fungus rather than mites, since I don't see the classic V hair loss pattern that mites on the back usually causes. But you can treat for both, at the same time, pretty cheaply. Just don't let a vet do a skin scraping for mites. It's painful for the pig and for your pocketbook, misses the mites 50% of the time, and the end result is the same -- treat for mites.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for info on treating the fungus. If you decide to use one of the creams rather than the shampoo, Nystatin or Lotrimin are my preferences. Apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip, and rub in well.

See this for mites: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
Thank You for Your Help! It would make more sense that He has a Fungal Infection since He's not in any distress and it has been warm in my house. I'll start treating him with the anti fungal cream and see how he does.

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
I thought Pumpkin was getting better putting the cream on his skin, his hair was starting to grow back. But now chunks of his hair is coming off his back and it's getting increasingly painful for him when I try and put some on it. I'm going to buy some ivermecin, but should I give him a bath first to get all the hair off so it can get on his skin better?

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
*Upsetting Image. Have been treating for mites. Now he has an open wound.

I've been treating my pig for mites with ivermectin as directed. But Hes getting worse and now he has this gash on his head. Does he even have mites? Will he have to be put down? even though He has this on His head He acts completely normal and like himself. super happy to see me and always excited to eat.

Attachments

20180919_202932.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@PiggieLover96, you get ONE medical thread per pig. Please do not start another thread on a sick pig, particularly on the same topic. I've merged these threads.

Does he live with another pig?

Is there anywhere in the cage where he could have injured himself in that spot?

Does he scratch at that spot?

Is that spot where you've been putting the ivermectin? If not, where have you been putting it?

What brand of ivermectin are you using? What strength is it (it'll be either a percent or something like mg per ml)? How much of it have you been giving?

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
Yes He does live with another Pig. Theres nothing in his cage that couldve injured him. And yeah I've seen him scratching up there. I gave him 1 ml (on the very first line) where it was bad on his back then a second dose on the 8th day and I put it behind his ears and whatever was left on his back. It is Durvet 5 mg.

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
Heres the box.

Attachments

20180919_220348.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have way way WAY overdosed him on ivermectin.

If he weighed 1 kilogram (1000 grams, or 2.2 pounds), the correct dosage would be one tenth of a ml. He looks young, so the overdose may be even higher. Even if he weighs more than 1 kg, you've given him roughly ten times more than he needed. An overdose of ivermectin can cause nervous system damage, among other things.

I think you need to get your pig to a vet. ASAP. He needs to be checked out.

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
I promise I didnt overdose him. I only put it to the 0.1 line which was about 2 drops or less.

Attachments

20180920_001643.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
OK. That's not a milliliter dose then, that's a tenth of a milliliter, which is roughly what you should be giving. BIG difference between 1 ml and .1 ml. I'm relieved.

If he hasn't gotten any better after two doses, I'd assume it's not mites. You could finish the treatment, just in case, but I'd see a vet for that open sore.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, [MENTION=41727]PiggieLover96[/MENTION], but I couldn't help but notice. I'm not bashing you so please don't take it this way, but Pumpkins toenails in the picture you provided look rather long, and sharp.

If the spot where you're putting the ivermectin is itching him, and he uses those nails to scratch, he likely cut himself that way and is making it worse each time he scratches.

You may find trimming his nails may help, but I do agree that he should see a vet for that open wound.

PiggieLover96

Cavy Slave
Alright. I'm starting to think it isn't ither. I'll contact a Vet.
Not at all! They are getting a bit long. He's a Good Boy when it comes to nail cutting time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.